(DMs) How do you handle overland movement in your campaigns?

kilted Frog

First Post
As a DM, I like running campaigns where the player's move from various locales to other various locale, sometimes spanning hundreds of miles. I do try to give player's the choice to go anywhere they want, but tactfully attempt to prod them in my "story" direction at the same time.

What I've noticed is that the travel time itself is difficult to adjucate based on the players' interest level (which waxes and wanes, surprisingly enough). What I try to do is fast forward each day by rolling an encounter for each day of travel, and if there isn't an encounter, roll for the next day, etc., until either they have an encounter or they reach their destination.

What do you think is best? Just calculate the time to travel from point A to point B, mark it down, and just say the players make it "no problem"? Roll for each encounter period as listed in the DMG for every travel day? Do what I do and roll once per day using a predetermined encounter % (I base this on terrain, territory, and story)? Or just keep the characters in one city (which is something I try not to do)?

Oh, and I realize I could've posted this as a poll, but I hate polls, so I'd be a hypocrite. ;)

Anyways, I'd appreciate your ideas and suggestions!

- Chris

LostSoul

Adventurer
I don't use random encounters. I design them all. If the PCs don't hit the "encounter location" (they take the "Deep Woods road" instead of the old miner's path) they don't have that encounter. Some encounters, however, are not dependant on location, so they can take place at any point on the journey.

I find that dreams and campfire-roleplaying is pretty neat on an overland journey. It's also interesting when an NPC (either friend or foe) wanders on the PCs in the dead of night.

Lunn

First Post
I think the way you have been handling it is fine. It gives a chance of an encounter, but allowes the PCs to move along. I have found that I will do fast movement (no encounters) if I feel the area is safe enough to warrant it. But if the area is truely dangerous, then I will roll more often. I don't think you have to stay with any number of encounters per day rule. It is what will help make the story more interesting that is important.

Last edited:

Corinth

First Post
Time Management Solutions!

How do I do it?

I do it organically, using whatever random tables I require when I need them. I do this all beyond the visible scope of the game, and I prefer to use what I get to do some world-building. This means that I usually arrange things so that time spent in transit is separate from time spent at this or that location, unless the travel goes by without any encounters.

If I have to quickly look ahead, I call for a brief break--given my group, this isn't hard--and send them out to get whatever may be missing while I make my rolls and record the results. I've done this over the dinner break while She Who Cooks (Oh how I adore my gamers!) prepares dinner and She Who Hosts allows us access to the liquor cabinet.

It works for me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I usually don't use completely "random" encounters. If the specifics of events while going from point A to point B won't make much difference in the long run, then the travel generally goes smoothly.

Why? Well, try this - if there's stuff out on the road that will bother most adventurers, then either you need lots of adventurer-caliber people as caravan guards, or trade crawls to a halt. While lone commoners may not be safe on the road, armed and armored adventurers will probably be safe from random assault.

Old One

First Post
Use the D20 Mechanic...

Just set a DC for movement between location A and B, the more dangerous and/or undeveloped the area is, the higher the DC. If a PC in the party has 5 or more ranks in Wilderness Lore (for an overland journey) or Navigation (for a sea trek), then give the party a +2 circumstance bonus on the roll.

Suggested DCs:

Well-Guarded Trade Route: DC 3
Trade Route with Light Bandit/Monster Activity: DC 5
Trade Route with Moderate Bandit/Monster Activity: DC 8
Trade Route with Heavy Bandit/Monster Activity: DC 12
Active War Zone: DC 15

If the PCs take additional actions to be careful (moving only at night, no campfires, etc), then you can give them another +2 circumstance bonus, at the cost of slowing down movement.

I usually roll once per week of travel, so I would make 3 rolls for a three week journey. I don't use random encounters per se...any encounter I have almost always has a relation to a plot arc. Also remember that a wilderness encounter doesn't need to be with hostile critters - you can use the encounter to introduce NPCs, important campaign information or other plot hooks.

~ Old One

Eye Tyrant

First Post
I like Old One's approach, but what I have done in the past is this. Go ahead and determine the time it takes to travel from A to B. Then roll for each day with a given percentage for encounter in said area. If an encounter pops up I make it whatever the heck I want it to be at the time. However, this is all done prior to game play so the "random" encounters don't really seem so random to me and I am better prepared for the game. If I want Orcs to ambush the party, that's what happens. If I don't really feel like writing up a combatant encounter I make up something to roleplay, like other travelers, adventure hooks etc...

Okay, so I just read ALL of Old One's post... Sounds very similar now... :)

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
I don't even bother with rolls, to be honest. I plan encounters that go with the story, and sometimes plan a few for the group to run into if they get off track. If they take a different route or change how they travel, often they can lose people looking for them, but that doesn't mean they won't run into something else.:)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I do like Old One's system.

I normally set up 'days of travel' from point A to B. Rangers and druids in the party are given this information and told of the basic conditions and possible encounters. This is gathered from those PCs talking with NPCs and such. I sometimes give warning of dangers, sometimes they are real other times not, maybe a rough map showing different ways to get to point B.

Then I set up events that I want to happen, these would happen no matter which way the players go. I then set % chance for condition and encounters that the players were warned of.

Remove ads