• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD mapper program

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I keep hearing that Autorealm and Campaign Cartographer are great, but I have been unable to repliably use them. They seem to be based on AutoCAD rather than, like, MS Paint: so there is not a lot of intuitive utility there.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I keep hearing that Autorealm and Campaign Cartographer are great, but I have been unable to repliably use them. They seem to be based on AutoCAD rather than, like, MS Paint: so there is not a lot of intuitive utility there.
That is the biggest issue with any program, it all comes down to how much you put into it. I have to say the Campaign Cartographer Plus (just upgraded) is the easiest to work with but think we should be at a level of technology of just painting a map. A new mapper coming out is from a KickStarter: Other World Mapper – Map design software, it looks interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2138108959/other-world-mapper-map-design-software

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
AI_VE area.PNG

One of my older CC2 maps.

If you would like closer up views, or a city example, let me know. (it uploaded a little fuzzy, looks crisp at home)

aramis erak

Legend

CC was actually based upon an open source clone of AutoCad... FastCad. Both CC and AutoRealm are very much built upon the CAD-standard interface methodology.

It's a hump to learn, but once you do, the results are generally decent, if not excellent. Many simpler programs have come and gone; CC 1/2/3 maps have remained common enough in published works. CC3+ is likely to be used, too.

Remove ads