• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

dnd rollerblades (wotc article)

dog45

First Post
What Meloncov said, plus there's an item in the old 3.0 Arms and Equipment guide that granted the same ability. The Sparring Dummy of the Master cost 30,000, required 1 month of near-uninterrupted training and a level of monk.

These rollerbaldes do that, with some easily overcome drawbacks, for 1400gp and no class or training requirements.

I like the item - cool flavor. But the mechanics should be changed.

Kishin

First Post
Yeah, the Cyran rollerskates are rather powerful, for a number of reasons. (Skirmish, AoOs, etc.) I'm not sure if they're a good idea.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Personally, I don't think I would allow them to enable skirmish. You're not "moving ten feet", you're "making a five-foot adjustment" that happens to actually move you ten feet.

That's just an easy balance thing. Everything else - evading attacks of opportunity, whatever - is what you get for the price.

More prosaically, it can put characters in a position where they can make full attacks with much less fear of retribution. If someone without reach charges me (so that I begin my turn adjacent to them) I can take my full attack and then move back ten feet, requiring them to either pursue without the option of a full attack themselves or change tactics. This can be a very powerful ability.

The rollerblades definitely take away more from the game than they add, and sensible DMs should not allow them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Fighters on rollerblades? Not in my campaign.
That's an Eberron page, so it's not even intended for your game world unless you're playing there. That said, I like some of the other clockworks from this series. The little spider-thief bot is neat and will likely show up in the hands of gnome NPCs.

quasidomestikat

First Post
Man, that reminds me of something a friend's character found once. His rouge found these bunny slippers, and when he put them on they turned out to be like boots of elvenkind, but bunny slippers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads