Do druids need Track?

haiiro

First Post
I'm statting out a druid for this weekend, and trying to decide whether or not to take Track. I'm leaning towards not taking it, for two reasons:

1. My animal companion, a wolf, has Track, the scent special quality and the Track trick (from handle animal). This means I can tell him to track by scent, and the party can just follow him.

2. We're starting at 3rd level, so wildshape is only 2 levels away. That will let me turn into a wolf, cat or dog, all of which have Track and scent. I can then use my ungodly Survival bonus to do the tracking myself, and the rest of the party can follow me.

Am I missing something, or is it pointless to take Track given these two factors? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Track isn't pointless for a druid but it is generally sub-optimal. Mostly for the reasons you mentioned as well as some others I've heard but don't remember at this time.

So to answer your question, No, druids do not need Track.

frankthedm

First Post
haiiro said:
2. We're starting at 3rd level, so wildshape is only 2 levels away. That will let me turn into a wolf, cat or dog, all of which have Track and scent. I can then use my ungodly Survival bonus to do the tracking myself, and the rest of the party can follow me.
You don't get scent when wildshaped. It is a special quality of the creature which neither Alternate form...

The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.

...nor Polymorph...

It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

...grant to the user.

haiiro

First Post
frankthedm said:
You don't get scent when wildshaped.

Whoops -- good point, thank you. I don't think that changes the fundamental question, though -- even without scent, gaining the new form's Track feat should still do the trick (albeit not quite as well).

nittanytbone

First Post
Track is redundant, although a druid can easily be the best tracker in the game (max survival skill, get nature synergy, +2 nature sense bonus, and high wisdom). You will get track with wildshape when in dog forms.

You don't get the feats from wildshape either, until elemental.

And everyone can track up to dc10, that's a take 10 on survival for every character without a negative wis modifier. The druid's survival ranks are kinda wasted on such a low dc.

Klaus

First Post
The druid doesn't need Track. He does it with spells (locate animals or plants, commune with nature, speak with animals, etc).

Remove ads