• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Force Ghosts hang out with each other?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The only time multiple Force ghosts appear together is the victory celebration after Palpatine - err Darth Sidious - is killed. Presumably the Force is rebalancing itself and odd things can happen. Otherwise, Force ghosts are seen in Luke's personal 'disturbance in the Force' vortex. It may be a feature unique to him?

MarkB

Legend
Which begs the question: when the force ghost is "at one with" the Force, and no manifesting, is it still conscious? Is Yoda hanging out chatting to Qui Gonn Jinn in Force Valhalla (or the Nether Regions, orn whatever Yoda called it)? Or are they basically asleep until they are awoken for a five minute chat with somebody living once every thirty years?
There are other possibilities. Maybe those who are "one with the Force" are all part of a shared consciousness, not existing as individuals at all, but still conscious and thinking en masse, and when someone needs advice from an old mentor that personality is distilled back out of the whole in order to manifest in the physical world.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are other possibilities. Maybe those who are "one with the Force" are all part of a shared consciousness, not existing as individuals at all, but still conscious and thinking en masse, and when someone needs advice from an old mentor that personality is distilled back out of the whole in order to manifest in the physical world.
What does that even mean, though?

If I’m not an individual any more, and am thinking en masse, I’m dead.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Which begs the question: when the force ghost is "at one with" the Force, and no manifesting, is it still conscious? Is Yoda hanging out chatting to Qui Gonn Jinn in Force Valhalla (or the Nether Regions, orn whatever Yoda called it)? Or are they basically asleep until they are awoken for a five minute chat with somebody living once every thirty years?
How would they know to show up for those 5 minutes, though? At the end of Return of the Jedi, we see Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin all hanging out just watching Luke and the others. There wasn't a need for them to be there that I saw.

I agree with @Hriston on this one. I think they keep their individuality when they are one with the force and "hang out."

MarkB

Legend
What does that even mean, though?

If I’m not an individual any more, and am thinking en masse, I’m dead.
But also, if you're a ghost, you're dead.

To me, becoming "one with the Force" implies a certain melding of consciousness and loss of individuality. It may not be an all-or-nothing deal, though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But also, if you're a ghost, you're dead.
Semantics. Brain dead. Not a conscious being any longer. You know what I mean. :)

(Anyway Yoda describes it as immortality, which isn’t dead).

To me, becoming "one with the Force" implies a certain melding of consciousness and loss of individuality.
At that point I no longer exist. I’m ‘dead’ in any way that matters.

MarkB

Legend
Semantics. Brain dead. Not a conscious being any longer. You know what I mean. :)

(Anyway Yoda describes it as immortality, which isn’t dead).
And what Yoda said was true, from a certain point of view.

At that point I no longer exist. I’m ‘dead’ in any way that matters.
Which is exactly the same deal you'd be getting if you weren't a Jedi.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And we will add your spiritual and philosophical distinctiveness to our own.
BE0E075C-733B-4428-9B4B-C6FD87904C3C.jpeg

Remove ads