WOIN Do I need more than OLD for a setting with steampunk elements?

Aurynleid

Villager
I'm looking at running a fantasy tabletop game in a homebrew world and interested in trying out the WOIN system after reading some of the previews.

The setting I'm building is high fantasy, but also has some civilizations with steampunk tech. Can I support this accurately with just OLD, or would I need to purchase NOW as well?

Cheers.

Shaun Palmer

Explorer
NOW has rules for mutations (X-Men style), vehicle combat, organisations, cybernetics, and Chi based martial arts. It also has a list of modern firearms, which includes wild west era firearms (WOIN Gear lists these as well)

It also has moderns careers that may be useful (check them out on WOIN Rules)

The main addition are rules for automatic firearms (positional effects, weapons, and exploits)

If you want a more fantasy vibe you may not need any of this, but if you want to add a Victorian / wild west / modern civilization vibe, then it may be useful.

Check out the links and see what you think

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Nah, to be specific it will be steam technology that is high fantasy in theme, none of the NOW stuff sounds similar to what I'm after. Thanks tho :)
Not sure if your high-fantasy Steam era themed game will include firearms, but p. 99-104 of the NOW rulebook includes a decent list of "Western-era" firearms of the type you'd find in the mid-to-late 19th century. NOW's career list may also include some career options that are more appropriate to a steam-era setting, like the Con Artist, Craftsman, Drifter, Gambler, Gangster, Laborer, Miner, Performer, Priest, Smuggler, Street Thug, and Trader. Similarly, the Universal Exploit list for NOW may offer some era-appropriate options, like firearms exploits, not found in OLD. Just something to consider.

Aurynleid

Villager
Not sure if your high-fantasy Steam era themed game will include firearms, but p. 99-104 of the NOW rulebook includes a decent list of "Western-era" firearms of the type you'd find in the mid-to-late 19th century. NOW's career list may also include some career options that are more appropriate to a steam-era setting, like the Con Artist, Craftsman, Drifter, Gambler, Gangster, Laborer, Miner, Performer, Priest, Smuggler, Street Thug, and Trader. Similarly, the Universal Exploit list for NOW may offer some era-appropriate options, like firearms exploits, not found in OLD. Just something to consider.

Thaaaat might be useful actually. Thank ye!

Remove ads