Do INT items give more skills?

dcollins

Explorer
Look at "Level Advancement", PH p. 145-146.

That a continually-used Int+ item will allow skill point increases: end of step #4 (because it only bars the skill points if it's used "a short period of time" -- an unfortunate rule IMO, complicating skill point calculations).

That Int bonuses aren't retroactive for skill points: end of step #5 (because only Con is mentioned for retroactive per-level modifiers; there's probably a more specific quote somewhere, but I don't have time to dig for it).

kenjib

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
Hm...

Personally, I wouldn't allow extra skill points from the headband. It has to come off sometime and the extra intelligence goes away. I say stick with the base intelligence for determining skill points, keeps things a little easier IMO.

You could just think of it as the extra intelligence improving learning rate, which is I think what the designers intend this rule to represent - the person acquires new information and skills more easily. That way if he loses the extra intelligence, it only slows down his rate of skill acquisition, and doesn't lower his current skills. It's not 100% logical but perhaps it's the best way to think of it. It makes more sense to me than having someone wear a headband of intellect know that Priests of Ka-Lor fast on the last day of the year and then suddenly forget when they take it off (because their knowledge (religion) skill was lowered), and remember again when they put it back on, etc. It also makes more sense, to me at least, than having the headband not effect a character's ability to learn and acquire skills at all.

Remove ads