D&D General Do players REALLY care about the game world?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Also, here's a tip: Many generically named fantasy towns and NPCs aren't very memorable. They will go in one ear and out the other.

So I suggest actually naming your starter town something like Startertown and make the villain's name "What's-His-Face." Come up with succinct reasons why they are named this. Perhaps Startertown was once known for its sourdough bread (before the orc invasion some years ago which killed every future adventurer's parents) and What's-His-Face is known to be a shapechanger.

I guarantee you the players won't forget those.
One of my favorite comedy sketches is about what to name identical twins so that they develop different personalities. I believe the suggestions were "Jennifer Ann and Mr. Pus". Now I'm wondering what kind of justifications could be used to actually make those fit a plot point without being gross on the second one...

Aldarc

Legend
Also, here's a tip: Many generically named fantasy towns and NPCs aren't very memorable. They will go in one ear and out the other.

So I suggest actually naming your starter town something like Startertown and make the villain's name "What's-His-Face." Come up with succinct reasons why they are named this. Perhaps Startertown was once known for its sourdough bread (before the orc invasion some years ago which killed every future adventurer's parents) and What's-His-Face is known to be a shapechanger.

I guarantee you the players won't forget those.
Or just have the players name the Starter Town. Even if it's Villagey McVillageFace, it will go a long way to help give them a sense of ownership and stake in the town's fate.

If you have some other goal than entertaining play, why should the players care about it?

I'm not saying "other than", but I'm suggesting that there may be other goals in addition to mere entertainment.

Look at it this way: if a person reads lords of the rings, and ends up entertained, despite not remembering any of the characters names, or names of locations, does that matter?

For some, entertainment of any kind may be enough. But I have higher expectations of how my players are entertained. If my players don't remember anything about my world, despite being entertained, I would still feel that I had failed as a DM to some degree.

I want to give my players more than just simple entertainment. I also want my players to be immersed, and to remember the world that I've crafted. I want them to be entertained on more than just a superficial level.

And I think a lot of players do care "how much" they are entertained, and how immersive the fictional world presented to them is. I think that makes the difference between a good DM and a great DM.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not saying "other than", but I'm suggesting that there may be other goals in addition to mere entertainment.

Look at it this way: if a person reads lords of the rings, and ends up entertained, despite not remembering any of the characters names, or names of locations, does that matter?

Not especially, no.

For some, entertainment of any kind may be enough. But I have higher expectations of how my players are entertained. If my players don't remember anything about my world, despite being entertained, I would still feel that I had failed as a DM to some degree.

You are thus putting requirements on other people about how they have fun, and if they don't have the "right" kind of fun, you say there is a problem.

I want to give my players more than just simple entertainment.

Who said "simple"? Look back - did I use the word "simple"? No, I did not.

So, you are now arguing against a position I did not take. Great strawman there.

I also want my players to be immersed, and to remember the world that I've crafted. I want them to be entertained on more than just a superficial level.

So much judgement based on your own assumptions and nothing that I said.

Let me know when you're done making things up, and are ready for real discussion with a person, rather than your own imagination.

You are thus putting requirements on other people about how they have fun, and if they don't have the "right" kind of fun, you say there is a problem.
Woa there! I didn't make any such claim at all. But remember what this thread is about. I'm taking the position here of someone who does care a great deal about the main topic.
Who said "simple"? Look back - did I use the word "simple"? No, I did not.

So, you are now arguing against a position I did not take. Great strawman there.
Chill out! Why are you so antagonistic? Can't we just have a relaxed friendly discussion about the merits of having players care about world building?
So much judgement based on your own assumptions and nothing that I said.

Let me know when you're done making things up, and are ready for real discussion with a person, rather than your own imagination.

So much antagonism. I assure you, there is no malice in my posts. Why are you taking this so hard? At this tone, I don't think I want to continue this discussion with you. You are being incredibly hostile and unpleasant.

Are you having a bad day perhaps? What got you riled up so much? It can't be my post.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Over the decades of playing and running games and creating what I think of as fascinating worlds, I was informed in a non-insulting "yeah, cool. Nifty. Uh, when can we kick ass?" sort of way that my players don't really care about the world except in the context of having a place to adventure. The reasons why the world is the way it is are cool and all, but seem to not really have a huge impact (I have a reason why there are only three gods and a host of saints/apostates, for example). I could just as easily run using any world as long as the adventures are cool.

And I find, unsurprisingly, that I'm the same way. Oh, sure. I like cool worlds. But I'm also fine with bog-standard fantasy worlds as long as the adventures are fun. And, at times, prefer it as I don't want to remember all that esoteric stuff and just wanna play. Yah know?

Got me thinking about just running Sword Coast stuff and not taxing my brain anymore.

So, as PLAYERS (as DMs, sure, as that's where a lot of our fun comes from), do you really care that much about the game world?
I wouldn’t play in a group of players who don’t. The world is as important to me as any given other PC, when I’m a player. I refuse to play a character who isn’t built from the world I’ll be playing them in. If I can make the character without knowing what setting it is, that character is completely boring, to me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases