Do Saving Throws for Creatures Increase?

Thalionalfirin

First Post
Does this mean that magical beasts have saving throws as a similar level fighter, for example? Are the saving throws modified by the appropriate stat modifiers?

Also, do they pick up feats similar to characters? i.e. at 1st level and again at every level divisible by 3?

glass

(he, him)
Infiniti2000 said:
Are you sure that link's appropriate for a cohort? Creatures don't gain racial HD as they gain XP, they gain class levels.
What difference does that make? Characters still get hp, skill points, bab and saves per a progression, a feat every three and an ability point every for for getting hit dice, regardless of where they come from.

Obviously, how many hp and skill points and what rate of bab and save advancement will vary, but the general principals are the same.

EDIT: And the link actually says characters with a character class improve by class, not by type.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
Thalionalfirin said:
Does this mean that magical beasts have saving throws as a similar level fighter, for example?
Yes, although as I2k points out, you may wish (or need) to advance it by class, in which case it would gain the normal benefits for it class (including bab, saves, hp, etc as well as class abilities.

Are the saving throws modified by the appropriate stat modifiers?
Yes, but they already will be so this will only be an issue if the stats change (maybe due to the stat boost every 4th level).

Also, do they pick up feats similar to characters? i.e. at 1st level and again at every level divisible by 3?
Yes, but remember that the effectively have 4 levels of 'magical beast' already. Therefore it will gain it's first extra feat at it's second extra HD or class level (6 HD) total and it's first extra ability point after four (8 HD total).

Hope this helps.

glass.

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Are you sure that link's appropriate for a cohort? Creatures don't gain racial HD as they gain XP, they gain class levels.

You can also have monster cohorts, which do not gain class levels. Makes sense to have them simply gain HD instead, then. For simplicities sake, just let them gain a HD whenever the leader gains a level. Or use the 75% XP and translate the level ups into additional HD.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads