Do synergy bonuses stack?

Corran

Explorer
It seems that everyone assumes that synergy bonuses stack, but is this correct?

Just to be clear; what I mean is do synergy bonuses to a skill stack? For instance you can get a +2 to Diplomacy from Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) and Sense Motive for a total of +6 if they do indeed stack.

The magic chapter of the PHB says:

"Bonus Types: Usually, a bonus has a type that indicates how the spell grants the bonus. The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don’t generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works (see Combining Magical Effects, below). The same principle applies to penalties—a character taking two or more penalties of the same type applies only the worst one."

Kylearan

First Post
Corran said:
Just to be clear; what I mean is do synergy bonuses to a skill stack? For instance you can get a +2 to Diplomacy from Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) and Sense Motive for a total of +6 if they do indeed stack.
Well, as I read the rules, you don't get a synergy bonus to Diplomacy by having, say, 5 rank in Bluff. Instead, you get an unnamed +2 bonus due to synergy. Looking at your example, you get three unnamed +2 boni to Diplomacy for a total of +6.

Kylearan

irdeggman

First Post
There is no such thing in 3.5 as a synergy bonus. The wording was changed from 3.0.

Skill Synergy
It’s possible for a character to have two skills that work well together. In general, having 5 or more ranks in one skill gives the character a +2 bonus on skill checks with each of its synergistic skills, as noted in the skill description. In some cases, this bonus applies only to specific uses of the skill in question, and not to all checks. Some skills provide benefits on other checks made by a character, such as those checks required to use certain class features.

That is a major distinction. Since it is an "unnamed bonus" they will normally stack.

Corran

Explorer
irdeggman said:
There is no such thing in 3.5 as a synergy bonus. The wording was changed from 3.0.

That is a major distinction. Since it is an "unnamed bonus" they will normally stack.

Thanks, I guess that's the definitive answer. It coming from different sources didn't ring true for me but this quote seals it.

Li Shenron

Legend
irdeggman said:

They stacked also in 3.0, although it required a specific mention.

Thurbane

First Post
According to the "official FAQ":

FAQ said:
The text for synergy under the Diplomacy skill on page
72 of the Player’s Handbook states: “If you have 5 or more
ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), or Sense
Motive, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks.” I’m
assuming that means if a character has 5 ranks in Bluff,
Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Sense Motive that
the character would receive only a +2 synergy bonus on
Diplomacy checks. Or would the character receive a +6