Do you consider learning a new game to be unpleasant work?

Fun or work?*

• Fun!

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • Work!

Votes: 38 40.9%

I wouldn't call a new system work, I would say that it is generally tedious. The very rare exception is when someone comes up with something new, and then it is interesting.

But that is generally the exception because the days of innovation seem over. Now it just rules tweaks, new classes, new monsters, new spells and re-hashed settings.

I expect to continue to use my heavily-modified 5e system to the bitter end. 5e isn't great, but I don't hold much hope of anything innovative appearing, and definitely not from WOTC or its hangers-on.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Depends on the game. Something like Masks, Worlds Without Number or Wildsea (that are contained in relatively small texts with unique mechanics) are like really easy for me to learn and I tend to get like more excited about. It takes a lot for me to invest in games contained in (often multiple) 300+ page books.

Mostly I am into games that we can get playing right away rather than larger elaborate systems that require deeper investment. There are exceptions, but they are relatively rare.

But that is generally the exception because the days of innovation seem over. Now it just rules tweaks, new classes, new monsters, new spells and re-hashed settings.
I feel that's only true for 5e derivatives. There's definitely a lot of weird stuff (in a good way) floating under the surface if you know where to look.

Some personal recommendations:

I've heard nothing but good things about Tales from the Loop and Alien from Free League, but haven't had a chance to take a look myself. Gonna plug them anyway.

I've also heard good things about Tidebreaker, might be worth a look:

These games aren't out yet; the Kickstarters for these finished, but they're definitely worth keeping an eye on:

Kickstarter for this one is still going with 8 days left, the concept is... out there, to say the least, but I feel that just proves my point.

These ones are a bit more "normal" (as ickily loaded as that word is, blegh), there's still time to pledge.

Will add more recommendations as I find them.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
Yes! If a rulebook is, not just a good reference, but a well-written and fun read . . . it's work and it's fun! Even if I know I'll probably never play the game! I used to collect World of Darkness books in the 90s, but rarely played the game. I just found the world-building and story just so much fun!
I honestly believe a lot of the splat books produced in the 90s were designed were intended to be read for entertainment purposes rather than used directly for gaming.

I feel that's only true for 5e derivatives. There's definitely a lot of weird stuff (in a good way) floating under the surface if you know where to look.

Some personal recommendations:

I've heard nothing but good things about Tales from the Loop and Alien from Free League, but haven't had a chance to take a look myself. Gonna plug them anyway.

I've also heard good things about Tidebreaker, might be worth a look:

Will add more recommendations as I find them.

You're right, 5e derivatives are junk.

Until it is released, I don't pay attention to Kickstarters. I don't wait around for products.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying: I was talking about game systems, not settings. Although TV and movie spin-offs are definitely not innovative. And most settings are just junk, but what little innovation you do see is in settings.