• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you have trouble "Laying down the law"?

ggroy

First Post
Disclaimer: I'm not making a universal claim in this post, simply stating my experience and reaction thereof:

In high school, I knew a lot of people that spent 30 minutes working to cheat on a test when 20 minutes of study would have got them the good grade. (They were reasonably bright.) I knew some people who cheated at games. Mostly, it was the same group. Later, I knew some of these same people as adults, and other adults that self-reported similar behavior. They were mainly the same ones that cheated in other, more serious, ways.

Any of these people happen to have been employees at places like Enron, AIG, Lehman Brothers, etc ...? :p

Doug McCrae

Legend
I used to cheat at D&D in my early teens. I have no memory of actually doing it but thinking back on my paladin with 18/99 strength (more believable than 00, right?) who rolled a two-handed giant slayer sword in the Dragon tables prior to the DM running G1-3, it's pretty obvious I was.

These days cheating really annoys me, I don't think I could game with someone who deliberately cheated unless they were a really good friend.

Odysseus

Explorer
My point of view is , that I don't care. If they cheat so what. As long as it does spoil everyones fun, what difference does it make.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
Years ago, I ws going to my "A" school for the Marine Corps, and started a D&D group (1ed) with a few of my fellow students. I told them all that they could bring in characters from other games as long as they were:
1) legitimate
2) appropriate
3) not "all powerful"

As "luck" would have it, one of the players came to the game with a very high level Ft/MU/Cl with no stat less than 16, that had an arsenal (including a Holy Avenger, a couple of other swords, magial arrows and a magical cross bow), several potions, and a ring on each hand, and a bag of holding with a few more in it (so he could use whatever was needed for each situation). He also had the Hand of Vecna artifact (that he swore he got legitimately. He had a Ring of wishes that he had used to prevent him from being killed. ("I wished that I could never be killed").
This player absolutely swore that it was all legitimate, and that he had gotten eeverything for real and in game.

I figured... well, I won't use the exact phrase I figured, but you get the idea... As he was higher level than the others, I bet him $20 that I could kill his "un-killable" character.

Five minutes after sitting down at the table, I walked away with $20 and he was being watched by the other players as he rolled a new character. My victory ploy? Simple:

He went through an archway filled with mist (he could not die... what was he worried about?) and ended up in what appeared to be a wizard's workshop. There was a young mage there who yelled at him to leave the room 'NOW!".

The player, in a fit of arrogance, had blindly walked into a time portal and had fireballed hiimself when he was an appentice... BEFORE he got the ring of wishes.

I ALWAYS play it straight with my characters and players, and demand that they do the same for me.

Remove ads