• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you keep your Players' character sheets?

carmachu

Adventurer
Generally no. Although us players are responsible for sending updates to the DM if we're going to be absent.

I've recently started leaving mine voluntarily with the DM. Easier then uploading one....

Doug McCrae

Legend
The group I was in as a teenager, we kept our own. Every single session, someone would forget their character sheet. Every game I've been in subsequently, the GM kept them.

weem

First Post
I don't keep or even want them, and no DM I have played with (that I recall) has asked to hang on to mine - though I have known of some who have.

I could see the use when planning encounters etc so you can run some math in your head to compare difficulties, etc. I do glance at them sometimes before people leave, maybe even jot some things down so I can remember, but that's about it.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
My players ask me to keep their sheets as most of them are casual players and don't think about game except on game day...thus they forget character sheets.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

At the moment, it is a yes. It isn't that I ask to hold on to them, for control or something. The sessions happen at my house, and I've got the books and other materials - it seems that to the players, it makes sense to keep the sheets with everything else, since they aren't doing anything with the sheets between sessions.

In our 4e groups the DM always has an up-to-date copy of the character sheets. Since we usually play at my place and I'm the guy who prints out all the cards and sheets, I also have copies.

Stormonu

Legend
I used to. I had some unreliable players who would add extra equipment or attempt to raise their ability scores between sessions.

Also, the D&D groups in my area tended to have a lot of overlap. Often, players in my area would play in 2-3 groups and would take the same character to use in different games, gaining gear and XP in other adventures and then attempt to use the upgraded character in my game (extremely annoying when the characters in my game were in the middle of an adventure and someone would try this).

I also would not accept characters from other games into my own. If you wanted (and still do wish) to play in my campaign, the character had to start in the game world, grow, and stay there. (This was, of course, instituted after several new players would try to bring their magic-laden, higher-level-than-my-group PCs into the game).

I feel my current players are a lot more mature than my old group (though they are about the same age as my old group) and I've lost too many character sheets now that I generally prefer players to keep their own sheets when possible. I still don't allow other-campaign characters at my table, though.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I require my players to keep a fully playable stat-block on-line somewhere. Until recently we used Yahoo! Groups, but now we use Google Wave.

Not only are they available if a sheet is forgotten or lost (which happens to someone or other every four sessions or so), but they're easily accessible -- at work, or from home -- for when I'm building encounters and want to provide the right type or difficulty of encounter.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't. I haven't. But I can easily imagine doing it in certain situations.

In our current group, we have a few players who are notorious for misplacing their PC sheets. Sometimes its been as simple as forgetting it at home, other times, the PC Sheet Gremlins are repeatedly taking them to their lair.

In separate incidents, we had one guy forget his at home and call his wife read off a couple of key stats to him so he could at least approximate his PC. Another guy had his wife bring his PC over...he had left it in the car when she dropped him off.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads