D&D General Do you like LOTS of races/ancestries/whatever? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yep, when this happens to me, it could be the "you came through a rift from another world/dimension/whatever" and we make it work.

It often becomes that PC's reason for adventuring--if they want to find a way home.
Which is fine, for one PC, or all of them if that's what the campaign is about. If everyone is like that it's a bit much for me.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Which is fine, for one PC, or all of them if that's what the campaign is about. If everyone is like that it's a bit much for me.
In a group of 4 or 5 PCs, one is fine. Two would be an incredible stretch (unless the two players decided to be the same race), and more than that would be pretty much out of bounds for me.

For example, if all 5 players wanted to play Loxodons (a race I don't have normally), I would be fine saying ALL of them were moved into the world and are trying to find a way back. Or maybe they escaped from their world and are searching for a new place to bring the others? Or whatever...

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
My group and I love having many racial options, especially monstrous races, and my current homebrew world has 40 different PC races to choose from (a total of 74 PC race options when you include sub-races).

Some of the official options from published books have been banned, so no half-humans, Drow, Kalastar, Custom Lineage, most races from Spelljammer, Dragonmarked Races, Variant Human, etc. However, I have added several races as well such as Gnolls, Driders, Asleid, Bariaur, Drakkoth, Wilden, Shardmind, etc.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
68 races. Each has to be large enough to be well known so people don't confuse them a high elf with a wood elf with astral elf. Each has to be distinct enough to stand out not just in the visual department but in the cultural department. And saying Drake Dragonborn is one off from the nineth dimension does not cut it, unless you are living near the New Waterdeep Space Interdimensional Citadel.

And can you give me why 68 races could work on an Earth Size planet?
I'm not sure why it's a necessity to have all of them with distinct cultures and long histories. Why can't the setting just have a ton of small enclaves, with most of the races just numbering a few hundred to few thousand individuals? The lost village of Harengon or the single treetop village of the fairy folk seems much more in keeping with standard fantasy tropes.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'm not sure why it's a necessity to have all of them with distinct cultures and long histories. Why can't the setting just have a ton of small enclaves, with most of the races just numbering a few hundred to few thousand individuals? The lost village of Harengon or the single treetop village of the fairy folk seems much more in keeping with standard fantasy tropes.
That's another thing: people don't appreciate how ridiculously huge a habitable planet is.

Sure, we live on and have documented a lot of ours, but that's because we've been working at 50,000 years of building and improving tools to do so and not only have we not documented to whole thing yet, but there were groups of humans who remain completely separate from the 'modern world'.

Now imagine a world where everyone was made whole cloth like 5,000 years ago and have been artificially trapped at a Renaissance tech level the overgods insist is Medieval ever sense. There's gonna be gaps. Gaps big enough for whole tribes of Goliaths to hide in.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The lost village of Harengon or the single treetop village of the fairy folk seems much more in keeping with standard fantasy tropes.
Which it is for PCs not from those places... If they discover them, the are fanciful.

However, if one PC is a Harengon, they would be like, "What's the big deal? It's just home." 🤷‍♂️

That is what I mean when I say having too many races makes it less fanciful for me, just like having a spellcaster in every hamlet or every housekeeper in a town knowing the mending cantrip makes magic less "magical". Such things are no longer special in any way, and become mundane with over use.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That's another thing: people don't appreciate how ridiculously huge a habitable planet is.

Sure, we live on and have documented a lot of ours, but that's because we've been working at 50,000 years of building and improving tools to do so and not only have we not documented to whole thing yet, but there were groups of humans who remain completely separate from the 'modern world'.

Now imagine a world where everyone was made whole cloth like 5,000 years ago and have been artificially trapped at a Renaissance tech level the overgods insist is Medieval ever sense. There's gonna be gaps. Gaps big enough for whole tribes of Goliaths to hide in.
Hell, there are still gaps today that whole, stable-population tribes can hide in, and we have satellite maps of our planet's surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads