• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you realize how small a halfling/gnome is?

DarkMaster

First Post
Allanon said:
I did the same once with a 3 meter stick in the gaming room. Showing with red lines the individual heights of sprites, halflings, dwarves, humans and large creatures like ogres. It was surely an eye opener, and I use it now as a visual aid.

I'd like to try it with a stick with which I can show the size difference between a human and a colossal dragon, but the darn thing wouldn't fit in the room :p

Good point. Everybody complains about halfling being able to fight like humans, but when they are faced to a collossal dragon the difference becomes insignifiant

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, I've been listening to too much Sam Kinison lately. The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread is that certain hill giants must have an awful lot of duck tape.

RobertHead

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
At least Tolkein put them at the size of about 9 year olds, which makes much more sense.

Uh, where did you read that?

If I recall correctly, Tolkein discribed Hobbits as between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 feet tall. Which puts them somewhere between about an 18-month-old to about a 5-year-old in size. Almost absurdly small on the low end.

Of course, I'm probably wrong, and the Tolkien scholars here in the office are schooling me as I type. Anyway, I think the point is... D&D halflings are reeeeeally small.

Doesn't mean they're weak like a 5-year-old, though. Think Yoda is a wimp? "Size matters not". : )

Last edited:

Quasqueton

First Post
10.0 Ogre
7.5 [Gnoll]
7.0 Bugbear
6.5 [Gnoll], Hobgoblin, Orc
6.0 Human
5.5 Elf
4.5 Dwarf
3.5 Gnome, Goblin
3.0 Halfling
2.5 Kobold
0.0______________________________________

But still, seeing it in the flesh is more revealing.

Quasqueton

Vlos

First Post
One thing that I always consider that, yes a Halfling is as small as a 2-4yr old, though their muscles are probably developed much more efficient, they are after all a different species or even genus, than humans, they are humanoids, not humans.

Now look how other creatures can do more than a human.

For example, monkeys have very strong grips and are very small. They can also jump and climb better than almost any human, yet are built very similar to humans.

So I have no problem having halflings.

Mythtify

First Post
Helps me to see that the 3.5 weapon size rules are a good thing. Though it helps to keep in mind that, though they are the size of a child, they are as capable as adult humans.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't see a problem with it, myself - call it Hong's Rule if you like*, but I think it's a pretty fascinating thing to have a character who is that small, but that strong.

Even though a halfling would be as small as a 2-year-old child, they are more DEVELOPED than a 2-year old. A 2-yr child is still growing and developing - they are proportionately VERY light on muscle mass.

In order for a child to have an 8 strength, it would need to be able to bench-press twice its own weight; this points to MUCH stronger musculature than a human being. Think instead this way: if an average halfling were 6 feet tall, it would possess the equivalent of 16 strength or higher. If a 16 STR halfling (darned strong!) were 6 feet tall, it would be almost as strong as a fire giant!

(Actually, the square-cubed rule would technically apply, but then there goes that "thinking about it too hard," again.)

A halfling may not be realistic, but it's certainly not implausible.

*thinking on fantastic elements too much is bad.

Remove ads