• Yes

Votes: 86 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • I'm a Player!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I like to vote in polls

Votes: 1 0.8%

I made my own DM screen, been using it for years. Three stiff cardboard tiles, attached together with "The DM is ALWAYS right!!!" in 72-point type on each one.

(This is irony. That's about as far from my DM style as you can get.)

Heselbine

Explorer
I've changed over the years. I used to have a large screen covering everything. Then I stopped having a screen entirely because I felt cut off, but my players complained they could see stuff they didn't want to see.

So now, I have found an excellent compromise - I use an old portrait-style DM screen which just folds around the notebook I'm using. I keep it off to one side so I don't feel cut off, but players can't see monster hps and so on.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Yes, have always used one. While I tend to roll attack/combat rolls in front of it, I prefer to make other rolls - such as search rolls or spot/perception rolls - behind it. I use Goodman Games DM screen (for 3.5) as my screen of choice - it is one of the best out there.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yes, but I made my own. Used presentation foam board (48" tri-fold), and cut it down from 36" tall to 16" tall. Printed out a large FR montage for the players side, and printed out my own charts for my side. My most important charts are DC charts, and my critical hit and fumble charts. I also have a vynyl screen with plastic pouches on both sides to insert your own charts and art. Don't remember who makes it, but it's awesome. However, I prefer my homemade one, it's wider and taller than standard screens with more room for charts.

I use my laptop also, to track initative, monsters, etc.

Gundark

Explorer
yes I do use a screen, not to hide dice rolls (which I do in the open), but to hide notes. Also I find the 4e screen to be very useful compared to other editions.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Secret notes: yes.
Laptop screen: sometimes.

Rolls happen in the open, though, and maps are part of "secret notes".

Cheers, -- N

evildmguy

Explorer
I use a DM screen but it's off to the side for the information it holds.

I roll everything in front of the players. I also use a laptop but one player can usually see it pretty well. My notes are usually in my head.

I wasn't sure how to vote so I didn't but that's what I do.

edg

Treebore

First Post
The single biggest reason I use the GM screen is because its usually faster to reference it then the book(s). I also use it to hide stuff to keep my honest players honest, and my not so honest players honest.

Wombat

First Post
Yes ... and no

I rarely use a screen for a specific game. I just put up some sort of barrier between my notes (and dice) and the players.

The rules I need are in the books. I don't need a screen for the basics.

Remove ads