• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you use the Success w/ Complication Module in the DMG or Fail Forward in the Basic PDF

Do you use the Success w/ Cost Module in the DMG or Fail Forward in the Basic PDF

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Progress combined with a setback on a failed check is also good for rolls that a DM might be tempted to take behind the screen because the roll itself gives something away about the situation. Insight, Perception, Stealth and other ability checks are common targets for this, depending on the fictional situation. "I roll those for the player so they can't 'metagame'..." is a common explanation for this.

Rather than make those rolls for the player (or go off some pre-rolled list as I've seen some DMs use), all the DM need do is narrate progress combined with a setback on a failure since the fictional situation changes anyway. A character might search for traps, for example. The player rolls and fails. The DM says the character finds no traps. Because the DM made the player roll, the player might conclude that there must be traps here and makes another attempt at it.

Someone like @Lanefan might then turn around and say "You can't - that was your best attempt unless something changes." Someone like me might narrate the result of the adventurer's action as, "You find the trap alright (progress) - you're standing on the pressure plate that activates it (setback)..." provided this followed according to what the player described the character as doing. Then I'd loop back around to describing the environment: "There's an ominous click and the sound of stone grinding on stone followed by rushing water in the darkness at the end of the corridor. What do you do?" The players now have a new situation with which to contend.

So, no need to make the roll for the player behind a screen or treat an attempt as the best and only attempt given the circumstances. Just narrate failure as progress combined with a setback.
Interesting example, as I've never counted finding a trap the hard way as "progress with a setback". :)

I always do those rolls behind the screen largely to avoid the problem of players getting more info from their roll results than their characters would. (e.g. did I fail because there's really nothing here or did I fail because there is and I missed it)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
@loverdrive No I don't believe that's all "very fate specific". For example....
I guess you could frame it that way. I don’t base it on how interesting I think the outcome will be though, but on whether or not it will have an actual impact on the characters. Failing to start a fire when the wizard knows Tiny Hut, failing to pull a door instead of push when there’s nothing stopping you from immediately going on to pull it, failing to pick a lock when time isn’t a meaningful cost, none of these things have costs or consequences that matter to the characters or the story. On the other hand, if there are wandering monsters that might come upon you as you try unsuccessfully to pick the lock for several minutes, if the door magically seals itself when you push it instead of pulling, if the wizard doesn’t have Tiny Hut, these are situations where failure does have a meaningful consequence.

I’m open to the possibility of a task that has a consequence for failure and doesn’t have one for success being a case where a roll might be warranted, but I can’t imagine a scenario where that would be the case and you haven’t been able to give me an example of one where it is.

Spending several minutes trying to Pick the lock is completely passive & as a result boring. Think for a moment the most interesting way you could describe lockpicking... Watch how many uninvolved characters start looking at their phone, character sheet or whatever while your doing that..

Players will sit up & start paying attention when you start describing cool new things & more importantly ask them how they involve themselves in things along the way

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Interesting example, as I've never counted finding a trap the hard way as "progress with a setback". :)

I always do those rolls behind the screen largely to avoid the problem of players getting more info from their roll results than their characters would. (e.g. did I fail because there's really nothing here or did I fail because there is and I missed it)
The example I set up isn't actually "the hard way" in my view. It just changes the situation and cues the players to have their characters do something about a new problem. It puts them in a bind, not just dock them some hit points. What's hard will follow if the PCs don't do something effective in the face of this new danger.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Much farther down you refer to something as not being a gameplay benefit; that and the above quote would seem to suggest you're coming at this from a game-first or small-g gamist perspective rather than an in-character-first perspective. This alone would explain probably 95%+ of our disagreements. :)
I believe gameplay and narrative are both important and each should serve the other to the best of their ability.
The player experience is constantly going to be desynchronized from the character experience, no matter what you do.
Obviously they’re never going to be 1:1, but that doesn’t mean ludonarrative harmony isn’t worth pursuing.
Even before seeing the roll result, for example, you-the-player picked up a die and rolled it; but (almost certainly) your character didn't. It's a very short jump from there to having the fiction reflect the roll result whatever that result may be, particularly if one doesn't necessarily see the PCs as always being perfect.
For the fiction to reflect the roll result, a roll of a 2 must necessarily reflect 10% of what the character is potentially capable of. Obviously the PCs don’t always act to the best of their ability, that’s (part of) the reason we roll dice when an action has a possibility of success, a possibility of failure, and a cost or consequence for failure.
This is another thing: starting with 4e and ramping up further of late there seems to be a massive amount of focus - far too much, IMO - on "keeping the game moving forward". I see nothing at all wrong with the characters - and thus the players - being stumped by something and left with no obvious way forward; it only seems logical that this sort of thing would likely happen fairly often to the characters. And if it means the players (either in-character or out) have to stop and scratch their heads for a while, then so be it.
Whether it’s logical is of little consequence compared to whether creates enjoyable gameplay. Now, what’s enjoyable will of course vary from person to person, but most people don’t enjoy the game grinding to a halt. If you do, knock yourself out.
In the game I play in we hit one of these points in last night's session: a door we just couldn't figure out how to open. Several in-game hours (and a couple of at-virtual-table hours) and a whole bunch of creative ideas and resource-burning later we figured a way through it; but now we're weaker and have found the opposition on the other side... :)
I’m glad you had a good time doing that, but it sounds painfully boring to me.
When I referred to difficulty mitigation I didn't mean in-character risk, I meant at-table frustration.
That’s not what difficulty means.
You're seeing the task from one degree further back than I am and thus - I think - equating task wth goal. To me the goal is to get through the door, the task is to pick its lock. Fail. Then the goal is still to get through the door but the task now becomes to break it down. Etc. Checks resolve tasks, not goals; and thus each task can have a different DC (or equivalent) even if all those tasks are in pursuit of the same goal.
A task requires both a goal (what you’re trying to do) and an approach (how you’re trying to do it). Picking a lock, breaking a door down, using a key, casting knock, and shouting at the door are all approaches to the same goal, therefore they are all different tasks. That was precisely my point - picking a lock was a poor example to use in support of your position that DCs should exist “in the wild” independently of character actions. The lock doesn’t have a static DC to pick it floating there, an attempt to open the lock by picking it is resolved with a check, which has a DC. That DC may vary based on circumstances and the particular approach being taken.
And there is nothing - nothing! - wrong or bad about this. You're rolling in hopes of achieving the meaningful consequence(s) tied to success.

See above.
Yes there is, it’s boring. Maybe not for you, but for most players.
I'm not concerned about bringing gameplay to a halt, because the gameplay doesn't halt. The progess of the story might stop, but that's very different; the gameplay continues as the players/PCs either look for find another way through, or go and do something else, or try to think of a solution, or whatever.
Gameplay can and does come to a halt when a failed check results in the inability to progress. It can of course be started back up again, but it does stall. And in my experience. most players don’t care for that. I certainly don’t.
With you and I this probably ties in to (EDIT) different expectations of (/EDIT) pace of play and-or degrees of patience. I don't usually care if something takes them all night to solve; as the campaign's real-world duration is completely open-ended, there'll always be next session to get to what wasn't got to tonight.
But do your players care? I can tell you, if my players regularly had to take all night to get a door open, nobody would ever come back. And I wouldn’t blame them. There’s a million other, far more interesting things that they could be doing with their time than spending 4-8 hours thinking of ways to open an imaginary door.
Got it. Comes back to making things easier/more difficult, I suppose: I tend to go the "more difficult" route, meaning the DC (or equivalent) is set on the assumption of reasonably good conditions, with adverse conditions causing penalties.
Not at all. Again, it’s not about difficulty for me, and I don’t set DCs independently of actions with uncertain outcomes and meaningful stakes.
Try this: picking a lock on a door. Success means you open a false door with only wall behind it thus no progress. Failure means you set off a trap or alarm or cause some other Bad Thing to happen.
Once again, you’re describing a task that has a consequence for failure and no consequence for success. I’m asking for an example of the opposite.

EDIT: Though I see now that I mistyped initially, so that’s an understandable mistake.

Charlaquin

@loverdrive No I don't believe that's all "very fate specific". For example....

Spending several minutes trying to Pick the lock is completely passive & as a result boring. Think for a moment the most interesting way you could describe lockpicking... Watch how many uninvolved characters start looking at their phone, character sheet or whatever while your doing that..
You don’t spend several minutes of actual time on it. You just tell the player “that’ll take 10 minutes and a successful DC 15 Dexterity check” (or whatever), and they roll the dice. Takes like 5 seconds, tops.

These are great examples of consequences for failure on checks to attempt to open a locked door by various means other than using thieves’ tools to pick the lock. But it’s the player’s decision how to try to open the door, not mine. If they say they try to pick the lock with thieves’ tools, that’s the action I will resolve.
Players will sit up & start paying attention when you start describing cool new things & more importantly ask them how they involve themselves in things along the way
It’s up to the players to describe what their characters do. I will describe the results of their actions (calling for a check to help make that determination if necessary). And then I’ll return to step 1 of the pattern of play, describing the environment.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You don’t spend several minutes of actual time on it. You just tell the player “that’ll take 10 minutes and a successful DC 15 Dexterity check” (or whatever), and they roll the dice. Takes like 5 seconds, tops.

These are great examples of consequences for failure on checks to attempt to open a locked door by various means other than using thieves’ tools to pick the lock. But it’s the player’s decision how to try to open the door, not mine. If they say they try to pick the lock with thieves’ tools, that’s the action I will resolve.

It’s up to the players to describe what their characters do. I will describe the results of their actions (calling for a check to help make that determination if necessary). And then I’ll return to step 1 of the pattern of play, describing the environment.
Most people have no idea what to describe other than lockpicks. Start weaving in awesome & dramatic actions like that on successes (even auto successes that only exist so you could describe a pc doing something amazing) and players will start doing those kinds of things after being wowed by it. even throwing in new details other than locks that push them towards thinking about those kinds of things will help :D

As to the examples Those are all basically industrytalk type gatherings companies that operate in that industry (security testing). There is looooots more here

Charlaquin

Most people have no idea what to describe other than lockpicks.
That’s fine.
Start weaving in awesome & dramatic actions like that on successes (even auto successes that only exist so you could describe a pc doing something amazing) and players will start doing those kinds of things after being wowed by it.
I don’t believe that’s within my role as DM to do.
even throwing in new details other than locks that push them towards thinking about those kinds of things will help :D
Oh, sure, more detailed description of the environment is a good way to get players to interact with those details.
As to the examples Those are all basically industrytalk type gatherings companies that operate in that industry (security testing). There is looooots more here
Cool.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Most people have no idea what to describe other than lockpicks. Start weaving in awesome & dramatic actions like that on successes (even auto successes that only exist so you could describe a pc doing something amazing) and players will start doing those kinds of things after being wowed by it. even throwing in new details other than locks that push them towards thinking about those kinds of things will help :D

When the DM starts describing what the characters are doing, this encroaches on the one thing the players are supposed to do in the game - describe what they want to do. The DM describes the environment and the results of the adventurers' actions e.g. the lock is picked (or not or is but it made noise, etc.). The DM does not describe what the characters do.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
When the DM starts describing what the characters are doing, this encroaches on the one thing the players are supposed to do in the game - describe what they want to do. The DM describes the environment and the results of the adventurers' actions e.g. the lock is picked (or not or is but it made noise, etc.). The DM does not describe what the characters do.
"I'm going to try to use my tools to pick/unlock/etc the door" doesn't say how or which of the tools in the toolkit. Your calling bad GM wrongly. "Ok you pop the hinge pins and boom the door falls to the ground with a push" is an example of literally doing just that. "I attack with my sword" there are an endless list of places the GM is invited to describe trivialities
Alternately you've proven the point of just how boring the lock picking is "I pick the lock" "how" with my tools" "ok roll" " 18" "success"... combat in those conditions must be utterly tax time reminiscent. Providing drama and dramatic elements are parts of what the GM does.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Here's a trick that I started doing and I love it:

Even if there's no hope of success or no risk of failure, you can roll dice anyways, to determine the degree of success/failure.

It works because:
a) Players love rolling dice!
b) It keeps ability scores and skill proficiencies relevent.
c) It injects just a little uncertainty into an otherwise certain situation.

It works particularly well for:
- social interaction
- knowledge checks
- investigation/searching
because in those scenarios it's not always clear to the players what the possible outcomes are and whether or not the check may be automatic.

It works less well in physical interaction or applying a craft/trade (including things like picking locks or disabling traps), and works poorly when failure has a very clear and immediate cost (like wasting a round of combat, or taking some damage).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads