• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Strange role (hopefully) cast

horacethegrey

First Post
Some more pics.

Mystical-Strange-005-EW.jpg

doctor-is-in-ew-008.jpg

mystery-room-strange-008.jpg
Looks to be the MCU version of the Doc's Sanctum Sanctorium

You can view the rest here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
He.
Is.
Everywhere.

I'm surprised he wasn't cast as Hermione Granger. Eventually, someone WILL make a movie with Cummerbatch playing all the roles.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't blame HIM, nor do I criticize his talent.

It is just sometimes it seems as if casting directors go, "Who would be per...BENEDICT CUMMERBATCH!!!"...even if they're doing a cinematic version of The Vagina Monologues.

The best thing about casting him as Dr. Strange in MCU, is that if/when Robert Downey steps away from Tony Stark/Iron Man, they can't put BC in the role.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hopefully he won't pull a Khan and chew the scenery again.

Well, a lot of Doctor Strange dialog is kinda pompous and scene chewy. I mean, how else would you intone, "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, and by Ymir's frozen sea, I implore the Flames of Faltine to produce me a cup of tea,"? 'Cause that's what his spellcasting sounds like a lot of the time.

Rune

Once A Fool
Well, a lot of Doctor Strange dialog is kinda pompous and scene chewy. I mean, how else would you intone, "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, and by Ymir's frozen sea, I implore the Flames of Faltine to produce me a cup of tea,"? 'Cause that's what his spellcasting sounds like a lot of the time.

This exactly why I think he'll be a good fit for the role. I'm looking forward to it.

Jeremy Irons might have worked, too. Most other actors would probably not take a line like that seriously enough to ham it up properly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Jeremy Irons might have worked, too.

In his younger days, perhaps. He's over 65 now - Doc Strange may have a bit of grey at the temples, but he's not supposed to qualify for his Social Security checks yet.

Plus... I'm not a student of Irons' work, but in everything I've seen him in he comes across... like hauling off and punching the problem until it goes away is always an option. Irons always presents like a tough old general. While Doc Strange is skilled in several martial arts, he's supposed to come across, first and foremost, as intelligentsia.

Most other actors would probably not take a line like that seriously enough to ham it up properly.

I agree that he's got the chops to take it seriously. Maybe this is a difference in perceived connotation, but what's called for isn't "hamming it up" - which to me speaks of intentional overacting that will make its hokey nature apparent. What's called for is complete lack of fear that you might look like you are hamming it up, which isn't the same thing. Lack of self-consciousness about it can lead to natural presentation, rather than it coming across as forced, if that makes any sense.

I wasn't sure on Cumberbatch as Strange, but dang if he doesn't look the part after all.

As for Jeremy Irons, every time I see him in some genre piece, I wonder what massive expense he's paying off this time (like the castle he bought and took the job in the D&D movie to help pay for).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads