Does AEG War Suck or ...

Crothian

First Post
I'm a big fan of AEG's stuff. I've liked what they have done long before the whole d20 craze. I have all their single word titles (except Monsters) and I get a lot of use out of them. They have great ideas. But the quality of their Rokungen stuff is clearly better. Now that someone mentions it, it does seem like two companies. I doubt I'll ever play or run a Rukungen game becasue the rest of the group isn't that thrilled about it, but I buy these books becuase they are top in terms of quality.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I didn't even realize AEG made the Rokugan books, LOL. You're right, they clearly put much more effort into those and 7th Sea than their other d20 stuff. They do look like they are made by two different companies!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Re: Too strong language

JoeGKushner said:

Generic/Misleading Prestige Class Names.
No ranking of officers
No prices for military action/life
No incorporation of seafare/science fiction/non-fantasy war

I agree with you that these should have been covered (in lieu of those terrible mass battle rules, perhaps, so as not to screw the page count up).

Mike Mearls said in another thread that he called it "Footman" as a joke, because gnomes and halflings would be underfoot, or something like that. Nobody got the rather obscure joke, and the PrC (and the entire WAR book) does tend to suffer a bit as a result of everyone thinking it's just bad writing to name the PrC the "Footman" when it clearly isn't what 99.9% of people think of as a medieval "footman." I do think Mearls did a good job on most of the PrCs in War, such as the Rake and Mercenary Captain. Those kick ass!

TBoarder

Explorer
Not what I need in a War book

What frustrates me the most about War is that it's obvious the writers of the various parts of the book never taked to each other. Why the h*** would a book have entire section on integrating magic, dragons, giants, and other D&D material only to completely ignore it in the mass combat system!?!? Anybody can come up with a usable ad hoc system for armies of normal ECL 0 armies with no magic. What we needed was rules for how to deal with the above circumastances, not a few paragraphs saying that we have to take them into consideration (Duh, we knew that). For that, I can't help but feel it was a waste of money, no matter how good the feats and prestige classes were. I bought the book for war rules, not for feats and prestige classes.

Last edited:

Remove ads