• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anybody still play d20 Modern/Future/Past/Apocalypse

Have you played d20 Modern?

• I have never interacted with it

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I own it but never played

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I played it, but not any more

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • I currently play it

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I don't play it but would like to

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • I am/was vaguely curious but that's as far as it went

Votes: 7 9.5%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would really like to see Paizo do at least a one-off modern/sci-fi RPG based on the Pathfinder rules. I even have the perfect name for it, which I have suggested on Twitter a few times. I think though that it might be better to take what works in Modern and add it to the core Pathfinder system rather than the other way around. I kind of wonder whether they just have zero interest in such a project, or perhaps they are holding off until they can make it the introduction to a future "Pathfinder, 2nd Edition" . Especially after the Ultimate Equipment and Ultimate Campaign Guides though it seems like the time could be right to give it a shot.

Well, they haven't even done a second campaign setting yet (not that they necessarily will, but it seems a smaller goal than an entire new game).

Then again, who knows? For all we know they might announced Pathfinder 2nd Edition or Pathfinder Modern at Gen Con. I'm not holding my breath though!

Kaodi

Hero
Then again, who knows? For all we know they might announced Pathfinder 2nd Edition or Pathfinder Modern at Gen Con. I'm not holding my breath though!

If they do make it, I really want them to call it "Groundbreaker" . The word has one very similar meaning to "Pathfinder" , except in the present day it usually refers to paths of knowledge rather than physical trails. And it would lend itself well to the parallel institutions to the Pathfinders: whereas they have the Pathfinder Chronicles the new setting would have Groundbreaking News.

NMC

Explorer
I'm not saying that they'll want to to do a 2nd Edition, but that would be a good way to experiment with rules variations--much like WotC did with 3E/Modern/Saga/4E. "Groundbreaker" would be a cool name.

On the other hand, I wonder if they might be dissuaded by the existence of games like Modern Path and Warlords of the Apocalypse, which already use Pathfinder as their basis.

-Nate

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The closest that we came to playing it was that we decided to try a Year of the Zombie game.

The entire game collapsed during character creation, largely because we weren't familiar with the differences between d20 Modern and D&D 3.5 ("Wait, wait...'ballistic' is its own damage type!") and because a YotZ campaign uses quite a few variant rules (including, if I recall correctly, the Blood & Guts: Modern Military third-party material from RPGObjects), so we essentially had the game implode from trying to use too many unfamiliar rules all at once.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Did you ever play Call of Cthulhu d20? They didn't have classes at all. Everyone got the same hit dice, skill points, feats, saves, and attack bonus progression, and you just made a damned character.

Didn't they split some aspects of your character between "offensive" and "defensive"? So you were a 1st-level offensive character, versus your friend's 1st-level defensive character, or something like that?

Greg K

Legend
While not my first or second choice for modern setting games, d20M (with a few house rules) is my second choice for running a d20/OGl modern setting game for those that want a class/level based system (it is right behind True20).

Skytheen

Explorer
While not my first or second choice for modern setting games, d20M (with a few house rules) is my second choice for running a d20/OGl modern setting game for those that want a class/level based system (it is right behind True20).
I agree with this. If True20 was still getting support like d20 Modern has been, there'd be no comparison for me. There are a couple of True20 adventures that have appeared in the last couple of years- mostly written for several systems, True20 being one of them.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I almost always campaign or the other running. I didn't yet get players for the FG2 con online con though, surprisingly. Usually those fill up quickly.

Just made a char for a modern/spycraft game, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads