Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

lutecius

Explorer
You (admittedly, very few) folks who keep comparing dragonborn to "furries" are putting some pretty awkward sexual connotations toward those of us that do like dragonborn; whether it's toward our characters or us personally is irrelevant. Said connotations hardly seem appropriate to this board, much less a game that accepts players as young as 7 years old.

So maybe you could just knock that crap off?
tut tut, language. There may be 7 yos around.
You're seeing sexual connotations when there are none :angel:. "furry" doesn't imply anything sexual, unless you want it to.

Fenes

First Post
They got a breath-weapon, unlike the other core races. I notice you forgot to mention that. :)

They also speak the language that dragons speak.

Flying got nerfed all around, so there won't be a flying core race. Ugly is subjective (I for instance think they look just fine), as does "invoking anything related to dragons".

Anyone can speak the draconic. And a breath weapon is not really that special in a world with dozens of spells.

Sorry, I see reptilian humanoids, not dragons. No wings, no tail, no elongated neck equals "not dragon-like" for me.

The Little Raven

First Post
Pedantry does not change the bottom line that green & scaly and boobs do not mix.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a fantasy game that had strange things like the ridiculous owlbear or treasure chests that are actually carnivorous monsters. Dragonchicks with boobs is light in comparison.

No wings, no tail, no elongated neck equals "not dragon-like" for me.

Maybe that's because your definition of dragon is way more narrow than the actual, standard definition of dragon, since the Chinese and Germans have had wingless dragons for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon

Last edited:

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I like Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved and there was always at least one Draconic PC race so I think that helped me warm up to the Dragonborn.

Tieflings have been around as a PC race since 2e AD&D so that never was an issue for me.

Eric Tolle

First Post
"Tail-less, dreadlocked, boobed dragon people" is just beyond me. But whatever floats your boat, i guess :)

You kinda got a point there- we also need some insect people with external genetilia as well. I mean, chitinous boobs, what more can one want?

Well, anime-style catgirls for one thing. I can't believe that 4E left out the anime-style catgirls. That would have drove sales to an entirely new level.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You (admittedly, very few) folks who keep comparing dragonborn to "furries" are putting some pretty awkward sexual connotations toward those of us that do like dragonborn; whether it's toward our characters or us personally is irrelevant. Said connotations hardly seem appropriate to this board, much less a game that accepts players as young as 7 years old.

So maybe you could just knock that crap off?

Hey, WE weren't the ones that decided to give them :):):):).

Dragonbait

Explorer
I like both, but the "You might want to play a dragonborn" section is laughable. I remember them saying nothing about the dragonborn culture or personality in the "..play dragonborn" section, unlike all other races.
It went something like..

Dragonborn: You want to look like a dragon, you want to breath fire, you want to be a good Warlord, blah blah blah

I remember using the same attitude when trying to advertise the other races:
Dwarf: You want to have a huge beard, you want to resist poison, you want to be a good fighter,blah blah blah.
Elf: You want to have pointed ears and be hawt, you want to hit creatures more than any other race, you want to be a good ranger, blah blah blah blah

Anyways...
I just learned that nature is telling the people that insist that dragaonborn can NOT be mammals are wrong. Green, scales, and boobs CAN mix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

What he wrote.

Wait, Dragonborn don't have tails and Tieflings do? I didn't realize that. That is pretty retarded. Still okay with them but jeez, learn to be cool, WotC.

Mourn - What confuses me is that the Dragonborn in the DMG does have wings and can fly (iirc), which seems like a natural enough Paragon-tier feat or something, improving in the Epic tier, and indeed was hinted at by WotC a while

I do think, from a purely personal, entirely aesthetic point-of-view, the choices WotC made with the Dragonborn weren't ideal. They really seem like very stocky humanoids who have inexplicable "D&D-style" dragon-heads (D&D seems to have popularized the "wide-headed" or "wedge-headed" dragon, as opposed to the long-snouted dragons which used to be more generally popular) and scales. I didn't realize that they lacked a tail - I had simply assumed they did! That seems like a silly choice, really.

JMHO, but then then pretty much everything anyone posts here is.

I just learned that nature is telling the people that insist that dragaonborn can NOT be mammals are wrong. Green, scales, and boobs CAN mix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

Pangolins have teats, though, not "boobs". It's that they have human-style boobs that makes it kind of ludicrous, though for it's just the LAZINESS on the part of the art-team that that implies that really gets up my nose. I've seen sexual differentiation in quasi-mammals done a hell of a lot better before, and given the life-cycle of Dragonborn (hatch from an egg at the size of a three-year-old, are fully developed by a young age, etc.) it seems like mammary glands would be utterly un-needed. It's just like "Dude, how do we make the dragon-chicks look like chicks?" "BEWBS MAN BEWBS!" - Le sigh.

Last edited:

Remove ads