Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

Rechan

Adventurer
Dude, pangolins do rock. I'd play a pangolin race. Claws, armor, and spittin' acid. What's not to love? :cool:

But then, I'd play a kenku, a tri-keen, a dromite, a kobold, an undead (more foresaken style than your run of the mill vampire or whatever), a bugbear, a minotaur...

You get the idea. If it's removed from "Human-looking", I'll give it a go.

AllisterH

First Post
Ew :confused: I don't know if this anonymous poll is reliable, but i am appalled at the thought that so many people on these boards may actually like dragonborn.

Tiefling, i could see (with a different look, fluff and name) but dragonborn?
Even if wotc hadn't gone out of their way to make them look so dorky, they'd still be akin to furry.

Maybe i'm just too old (34)

Um, seriously guys, was Dragonlance NOT the most well known settting among the public? Weren't Draconians presented as possible heroic characters since the Doom Brigade novel which PRECEDED TSR's troubles and pre-3E.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Err... the like/love one options also included people who were indifferent about the other (like, say, me; I like dragonborn and am indifferent to tieflings).
Well, the poll's ambiguous phrasing of 'not so much' on options 3 and 4 can be read as either ambivalence or active dislike.

Two levels of granularity would have helped.

AllisterH

First Post
???

Seriously, how come nobody points out that Dragonlance has had Dragonmen characters for a LONG, LONG, while.

Is not Dragonlance the most well known of the campaign settings among both gamers AND non-gamers?

Wouldn't people, I don't know, expect to be able to play Dragonborn given the large part that Draconians play in arguably the one setting they're most likely to have picked up via the novels

Ew :confused: I don't know if this anonymous poll is reliable, but i am appalled at the thought that so many people on these boards may actually like dragonborn.
You're actually appalled that other people have different tastes than you do?

It's not an age thing, obviously. I'm 32 and I've been gaming for nearly 20 years. I have no issue with these races being included in core. I would have made a different decision were I in charge, but I realize a lot of people probably like them. And I don't find that appalling.

According to the poll, about 45% of respondents like them both, 8% don't care about them and the remaining 47% dislike one or both.
This is a biased way of presenting the data. For the "like" number you include only those who like both races, but for the "dislike" number you include those who dislike either race.

A more fair way to present it is: 44% like or love both races, 26% dislike or hate both races. The rest are indifferent, or split in their opinions of the races.

Last edited:

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
:1: :1:

Hate 'em.

If they were entirely optional, with tieflings giving up their giant lizardy tails to the dragonborn and getting Nightcrawler-esque tails and tiny Renn Faire devil-horns instead, I could maybe be persuaded to tolerate them.

Maybe.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Two things.

1) The problem with dragonborn isn't "They're dragon people!" Yes, some people get caught up in that. The problem with dragonborn is how they're presented. Compare them artistically and aesthetically with draconians.

2) That's also the problem with the dragonboobs. Yes, part of the problem is "This is stupid and doesn't belong because of biology." But the BIG problem is "This is stupid and doesn't belong because, holy crap, could you be any LAZIER with your designs?" That doesn't mean the artists themselves were lazy, but that the design for them was. As someone else stated, I imagine the meeting somehow went:

"So, we have these big dragon people, how do we differentiate between genders?"
"Just give them jugs."
"You've got a gift, my friend."

There's dozens on top of dozens of ways it could've been done better, many said and re-said over and over again. Make the males more colorful. Give a sexual dimorphism that's designed for ONLY THE DRAGONBORN to see (since they're the only ones that matter). Look into how actual anatomy works. But instead, Wizards decided to go with "Just give them jugs". That's why most people think dragonboobs are stupid - they're lazy, they're sexist, and they pander horribly to 11-14 year old hole-in-pants demographics that would buy or not buy the game irregardless of dragon breasts.

Unless you think they're pandering to scalies. That's YOUR call, 4e fans ;p

Remove ads