• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Barbarian rage end if Barb goes unconscious?

Crothian

First Post
The book doesn't state if the rage ends if the Barbarian enters water or not. So, I guess the barbarians can't rage when wet now either.....

Infiniti2000

First Post
green slime said:
No, you are missing the point. Together, we have already had this discussed in my group. There is no further point. I dismiss your comments, because they have already been considered, in the discussion with my players. It was not a descision forced upon the players, no matter what you may think.
If you don't want your houserule scrutinized, then don't post it in the Rules forum. People will be far more supportive in the House Rules forum. People have clearly shown and defended the RAW on this and trying to convince others to adopt your house rule in the Rules forum is just not acceptable unless you're willing to defend it.

green slime said:
My group consists of...
I really couldn't care less. Are we in a competition for which group has the most college degrees? I don't know about other groups, but mine has more than yours. Do I win?

HeavyG said:
In a game I play in, our DM interpreted the rules that way, but we didn't know it until recently because it didn't come up until 17th level. Our barbarian has never fallen unconscious before. He has died, from save-or-die effects, though.
That really sucks. Your DM needs to present house rules before you start the game. Introducing the house rule at 17th level is really a lousy thing to do.

Stalker0

Legend
As this is the rules forum let's debate the rule not the right shall we?

The RAW says barb rage lasts:
1) Until 3+con mod rounds
2) Barb ends it "voluntarily"
3) A calm emotion spell is put upon the barb.

That's it, so unconsciousness doesn't end the rage. Personally, I think it should, but there's no real debate here. The RAW is clear.

HeavyG

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
That really sucks. Your DM needs to present house rules before you start the game. Introducing the house rule at 17th level is really a lousy thing to do.

We do have a cheat sheet with all the house rules ahead of time.

In this case, it was a rule interpretation, not a house rule. :)

If we had time to read everything carefully twice and debate it for hours on the internet, he might have come to a different conclusion, who knows ? It doesn't matter that much, though, because the barbarian would not have acted differently once during his whole career had he known this. It just never came up. :)

Also, due to the fact that a barbarian can die if his rage ends and he's really low on hit points, and this no matter which side of this ruling you fall on, that particular player was in the habit of not adding phantom hit points when he rages, but only calculates it if he falls under 0 hp.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
If you don't want your houserule scrutinized, then don't post it in the Rules forum. People will be far more supportive in the House Rules forum. People have clearly shown and defended the RAW on this and trying to convince others to adopt your house rule in the Rules forum is just not acceptable unless you're willing to defend it.

I wasn't trying to convince anybody of anything. I was merely explaining how we do it, in response to the original poster. If anything, I'm the one people are trying to convince of the fallacy of my ways.

Infiniti2000 said:
I really couldn't care less. Are we in a competition for which group has the most college degrees? I don't know about other groups, but mine has more than yours. Do I win?

Surely you do. Go ahead, explain how.

Jhulae

First Post
green slime said:
I wasn't trying to convince anybody of anything. I was merely explaining how we do it, in response to the original poster. If anything, I'm the one people are trying to convince of the fallacy of my ways.

No, as was pointed out, this is the Rules Forum. We're not discussing whether or not your house rule is fallacious, but the fact that it's a house rule. If anything, honestly, you've been trying to convince everyone else that your house rule is what RAW says, which it really doesn't.

:)

glass

(he, him)
Crothian said:
The book doesn't state if the rage ends if the Barbarian enters water or not. So, I guess the barbarians can't rage when wet now either.....
I was going to say something like that. Seriously, if the book was going to list things that don't end rage, there'd be no room for anything else!

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads