Does Caliban live?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yup, I sit at my desk with a headset and a computer and answer the phone while surfing the net all day.

That's why I'm usually available to anser questions. Until recently it hasn't been a very time intensive job, but Copymax has been rolling out new computers and upgrading software and e-mail service at the stores, so we have had a huge increase in call volume in the last few months.

(This is also why I tend to get really "snippity" sometimes. Dealing with computer illiterate customers and trying debate rules minutae at the same time doesn't alway mix well.)

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Caliban said:
(This is also why I tend to get really "snippity" sometimes. Dealing with computer illiterate customers and trying debate rules minutae at the same time doesn't alway mix well.)

I totally understand now. Some end users make you want to kill the guy who invented computers, just so no one will have to explain to a moron the difference between CD-ROM media and drives.

Me: We need to reinstall your DVD software, do you have the CDs that came with your computer?

Woman: There is no CD on the screen.

Me: It won't be on the screen. Your computer came with a bunch of CDs. We need those to install the software.

Woman: It's in the computer.

Me: The DVD software is in the drive?

Woman: No, the CD is in the computer.

Me: Your computer should have come with several CDs.

Woman: No, ours only has one. It's in the computer. You want me to open it?

Me: No, that's the CD drive, we need the things you put in it.

Woman: Where are they?

In my head: Do I sound psychic or something?

Me: They came with your computer.

Woman: They aren't on the screen. What should I do, click Start?

Me: No, we need the physical CDs that came with your computer. The round disks that go in the CD drive.

Woman: No, we only have one.

Me: Maam, do you know the CDs that music comes on?

Woman: OF COURSE I KNOW WHAT A MUSIC CD IS!!!!!

I'm going to stop there. That is an actual conversation, and I started in the middle because the first part gives me nightmares.

--Horrific Spikey

Arabesu

good for a lark

I'm fairly sure that AI programs don't spew Pepsi through their nose onto the keyboard when laughing. (Unless I'm living a Virtual Reality that realistically simulates working a tech support job and surfing the net at work.... Good lord, I'm in the Matrix.)

I'm glad your amused.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hey, Caliban (and anyone else listening in), have you ever seen the "Welcome to I.T." free booklet that CDW produces and send to the IT's of their Customers? It's a collection of "Dear Fred" stories. Fantastic stuff! It's a collection of true I.T. stories of users whose computer problems redefine the term, "New User."

If anyone wishes for a couple of excerpts, let me know in the General thread.

Remove ads