Does Caliban live?

Arabesu

Caliban is AI

Caliban is not actually a real person. Its an artificial intelligence created by the Rules board moderators to help maintain the boards. His god like appreciation for the rules is a result of a massive rules database including a text file which includes every word WOTC has every published. He also benefits from a powerful heuristic algorithm allowing him to generate precedents which while not explicitly stated in the rules are based upon the greasy and difficult to explain concept of "spirit of the rules." When the new boards were set up Caliban's seed program was uploaded. He is still evolving and maturing in this environment but given his previous maturation rate on the old boards, he aught to be correcting our rules misinterpretations any moment now.

Deranged Youth

First Post
Re: Caliban is AI

Arabesu said:
Caliban is not actually a real person. Its an artificial intelligence created by the Rules board moderators to help maintain the boards. His god like appreciation for the rules is a result of a massive rules database including a text file which includes every word WOTC has every published. He also benefits from a powerful heuristic algorithm allowing him to generate precedents which while not explicitly stated in the rules are based upon the greasy and difficult to explain concept of "spirit of the rules." When the new boards were set up Caliban's seed program was uploaded. He is still evolving and maturing in this environment but given his previous maturation rate on the old boards, he aught to be correcting our rules misinterpretations any moment now.
Darn, and just when I had put my tinfoil hat back in its velvet carrying case.

SpikeyFreak

First Post

Arabesu said:
Nah, programs don't get as snippity as Caliban.

--Anti-Caliban Spikey

Gromm

First Post
Re: Re: Caliban is AI

SpikeyFreak said:

Nah, programs don't get as snippity as Caliban.

--Anti-Caliban Spikey

Of course he usually gets snippy since someone asks how a rule works and then he quotes the rule from the book, only to have someone say. Well I think it should work like this... after hes quoted the exact rules the answer the question.

I don't agree with his view on summoned creatures and poison for the record, though I see where he's coming from.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Re: Caliban is AI

Gromm said:
I don't agree with his view on summoned creatures and poison for the record, though I see where he's coming from.

I do, though I still have outstanding disagreements with him... likely means i'm wrong, but I'm stuborn.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

Arabesu said:

I'm fairly sure that AI programs don't spew Pepsi through their nose onto the keyboard when laughing. (Unless I'm living a Virtual Reality that realistically simulates working a tech support job and surfing the net at work.... Good lord, I'm in the Matrix.)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Caliban is AI

Caliban said:

I'm fairly sure that AI programs don't spew Pepsi through their nose onto the keyboard when laughing. (Unless I'm living a Virtual Reality that realistically simulates working a tech support job and surfing the net at work.... Good lord, I'm in the Matrix.)
Whoa, what are you supporting?

--Ex-Gateway-Tech Spikey

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: Re: Caliban is AI

SpikeyFreak said:

Whoa, what are you supporting?

--Ex-Gateway-Tech Spikey

Nothing very interesting. I provide support for the computers, copiers, and printers in CopyMax (the copy/print stores inside OfficeMax). I also support their e-mail, network, and internet access.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Caliban is AI

Caliban said:
Nothing very interesting. I provide support for the computers, copiers, and printers in CopyMax (the copy/print stores inside OfficeMax). I also support their e-mail, network, and internet access.

Is it over the phone?

That's how I got started in the IT business. I was a Gateway 2000 support technician. That was the worst job I've ever had.

And look at me now, 3 years later, a network administrator/telecommunications manager of a multi-million dollar company. :)

--Lame Spikey

Remove ads