• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

does identifying an item reveal a curse?

diaglo

Adventurer
Telperion said:
Why didn't WotC add this to the spell description in the first place? If it hadn't been for this thread I probably wouldn't have noticed this little detail for a long time...

player vs. DM knowledge, perhaps?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Telperion said:
Why didn't WotC add this to the spell description in the first place? If it hadn't been for this thread I probably wouldn't have noticed this little detail for a long time...
Would make it too easy.
DM: "Your identify spell tells you it's a +3 Sword"
Player. "(hm... he did roll something there) I want to use analyze dweomer on it to be sure."
While not all players would act like that, you don't have to tempt them :)

Bishop2113

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Would make it too easy.
DM: "Your identify spell tells you it's a +3 Sword"
Player. "(hm... he did roll something there) I want to use analyze dweomer on it to be sure."
While not all players would act like that, you don't have to tempt them :)

Anytime my DM rolled his dice I made a triple check as to what I might need to do. It was when I came up with nothing that I would start to worry.

When the DM caught on he began to roll all the time.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Bishop2113 said:

Anytime my DM rolled his dice I made a triple check as to what I might need to do. It was when I came up with nothing that I would start to worry.

When the DM caught on he began to roll all the time.

Nothing funnier for a DM to roll a couple of dice from time to time, without any effect whatsoever.

Or call for a spot or listen check.

Ottergame

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Nothing funnier for a DM to roll a couple of dice from time to time, without any effect whatsoever.

A good DM needs to do this. If you only role dice to actually do something, your players will pick up on it and figure out what you're doing.

the Jester

Legend
KaeYoss said:

I love doing this. I roll lots of random dice, fairly frequently. Sometimes they're wandering monster checks or something, but often they're just cuz I like to roll dice. I don't tell my players anything, either, though once in a while I can't help but smirk.

Spatzimaus

First Post
I knew a DM who had a laptop computer with him at all times. He had a program running that just rolled each type of die every ten seconds or so. So, if he ever felt the need to roll dice secretly, he'd just glance at the screen and read off the last entry in the appropriate column. Since he had the character sheets on the computer also, that wouldn't tip off the players.

Anyway, to the original question, that 1% thing works but is really annoying, so for all practical purposes Identify doesn't work for this. IMC, we researched a "Detect Curse" cantrip that had the caster make a caster level check versus the caster level of the item; success wouldn't tell you what the curse DID, it just said if there was one at all. I know, you'd think a cantrip should be too dinky to do this, but it worked out fine; the players wouldn't try to detect EVERY item, after all, and since it's a caster level check you can't just make a CL1 wand of it.

Bishop2113

First Post
Computer Dice Roller

I have a DM who wants a book of cursed items to come out, should I be scared?
Also what are the chances that he would decide to have starting items cursed?
Would that evn be possible?
Spatzimaus any idea what program that was, I could sure use it as I intend to start DMing and I fear that I would be the kind that would only remember to roll only when I needed too. Also how did he keep character sheets on his laptop?

Remove ads