Does The Monster Manual have any creature equivalant to Creeping Coins?

Tome

Explorer
I was thinking of making a trapped treasure that had Creeping Coins in it (like the original Wizardry CRPG) Does the DMG have Creeping Coins or do I have to make them as either animated objects or Tiny Golems?

I guess that I could have a very high level animate object active in the treasure chamber that activates via a permanent rune. Whenever a person passes the threshold of the chamber the spell goes off and animates any objects in the room. Hmmmm.. . . .

Treasure that bites!

Does anyone else have thoughts to help me out?

LotusPanda

First Post
I say use the stats for Water Elemental out of the Monster Manual and replace some statistics like immunities and resistances with those appropriate to it's metallic nature. But the attacks should crossover fairly well, as well as the method of movement.

That's -if- you want a monster. If you're just looking for a challenge, nothing hurts more than a thousand copper left spinning and beating people senseless in a cyclone. 1d6 damage each round in the cyclone or something similar. Add in DC's for detection and disarming and you're set.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Coin Dragon is actually a perfect fit!

Let me see if I can find the info on that... *now where did I put that Dungeon Magazine*

EDIT: *there it is* it's in the May/June 2001 issue of Dungeon Magazine.

Last edited:

Tome

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:
Coin Dragon is actually a perfect fit!

Let me see if I can find the info on that... *now where did I put that Dungeon Magazine*

EDIT: *there it is* it's in the May/June 2001 issue of Dungeon Magazine.

Aggeman,

I don't have access to Dungeon. Can you please tell me a few specifics on the Coin Dragon? That sounds intriguing.

-TOME

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
I don't know about the coin dragon (tho' it sounds interesting), but from what I remember from my days of playing Wizardry, the best fit for the Creeping Coins would be a coin-covered yellow mold (or possibly some form of Ooze, Jelly, or Pudding).

I'm basing this on the gas attack I remember the CC having. OTOH, molds are stationary in 3e (I think), which is why the others are possibilities.

[Edit]
Of course, what I'd really like to see out of the Wizardry sets is the Spell "Tiltowait", or even better "LaMaTiltowait" (although that never existed).

Last edited:

Remove ads