Domain Spell Choice. Is this allowed?

arbados

Explorer
I have a player who has selected the usual 2 domains for his character. However, he does not like his second level domain spells so instead chooses to memorize his chosen first level domain spell 2x. Is this permitted? I understand that it says a spell caster can memorize a lower level spell in place of a higher level spell slot, but I was wondering if this is the same for domain spells?

Additionally, if it is allowed then could he choose to memorize both of his 1st level domain spells to use for the day instead of memorizing any 2nd level domain spell?

If allowed do you feel that they must only be permitted to memorize the same 1st level domain spell 2x?

Thanks

aboyd

Explorer
Yes he can do this, and he can mix and match which spells he wishes to memorize.
Well, yes, but let's be precise with the language of it. Your domain spells are something akin to multi-classing, in the sense that they are a unique extra spell list that cannot be mingled with your "normal" daily spells. For example, if you take the "Travel" domain, and your cleric loves the Teleport spell it offers, he or she cannot then decide to fill all the available 5th level spell slots with that spell. Why? Because domain spells cannot mingle with regular cleric spells. So if the cleric likes the Teleport spell, great, he can cast it once per day, using his domain slot, which is the only slot available for such a spell.

There are feats which will allow you to spontaneously convert your normal spells into your domain spells, which would then make it possible to cast your domain spells many times daily.

irdeggman

First Post
Also you cannot freely substitute healing spells for domain spells unlike the normal cleric slots. IIRC you can if you have the healing domain, but that may just be a common house rule instead.

Corsair

First Post
An 18th level cleric could prepare a first level domain spell 9 times if they wanted to, yes. However at that point I hope they are using metamagic, rather than just wasting higher level slots to prove a point. :)

Remove ads