Double dipping art

So I'm kind of curious. What are people's feelings on reusing art in an rpg book? Specifically, WotC reusing MtG art in DnD books like Fizbans. In the Magic setting books, it's a touch more understandable sure, but what are people's feelings on Magic art being reused in this way? It is of a high quality yes, but if part of why you buy a book is for the art, are we being sold the same thing twice, after a sense?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Depends on how much overlap. Two entirely different games that use 80+% the same art? I'd likely go the cheapest option for one of them (PDF?) since I dont need high quality copies of the same thing. If this is something thats in the 10% range then its not going to bother me a bit.

MarkB

Legend
I don't think the overlap between MtG players and D&D players is that great as a percentage of the entire playerbase of either, so for most of us we're getting to see some fantastic art pieces that would otherwise have passed us by. Seems like a good deal.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Doesn't bother me. I haven't done MtG for many years, so when I see MtG art in a D&D book, I don't necessarily recognize it as such. Plus I've always found MtG art to to be very inspiring for my own D&D gaming anyway, so it just cuts out the middle-man in a way.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Depends on how I like or don't like the art, frankly. If I really like the art, I'm not going to be bothered. If I'm relatively neutral toward it, I'm probably not going to be bothered. But if I really don't like the art, I'm generally going to avoid it and that may mean I'm less likely to pick up a work.
So reusing art work - it's a grab bag of possibilities.

I will confess that excessive reuse of artwork was one of the reasons I avoided the Spellfire collectable card game. One of the major attractions of Magic was the original art work - the cards were beautifully illustrated - that was a significant part of the attraction. Spellfire recycling a lot of art I already had from Dragon magazine and other publications undermined a reason to buy the product.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is of a high quality yes, but if part of why you buy a book is for the art, are we being sold the same thing twice, after a sense?

I stopped playing M:tG a long time ago. So, the art is new to me, and I don't feel I'm being sold the same ting twice.

And, honestly, the art on magic cards is tiny. I suspect what's presented in rpg books is much larger, so you're getting a better view of that same art. So, there's still some value added there.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So I'm kind of curious. What are people's feelings on reusing art in an rpg book? Specifically, WotC reusing MtG art in DnD books like Fizbans. In the Magic setting books, it's a touch more understandable sure, but what are people's feelings on Magic art being reused in this way? It is of a high quality yes, but if part of why you buy a book is for the art, are we being sold the same thing twice, after a sense?
I'll never buy MTG...and the art is great. I love it. Love it.

Or, don't really care, I guess.....I would imaging the vast majority of people buying these books don't play Magic.

Remove ads