D&D 5E Downtime Training questions

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
Xanathar's Guide gives guidelines for training in terms of tools and languages (10 weeks minimum, reduce by INT modifier). It gives a gold cost, which doesn't matter since this question involves party members.

So, three questions...
(1) What determines whether or not a character can teach a language or tool? Just that they have it themselves?
(2) How much would teaching while traveling extend this?

And my main question:
(3) What about training proficiency in a skill? Since the book doesn't mention it, I assume it isn't an option in RAW, but how would you houserule this? (Since, obviously, one person can train another in a skill.)

(I realize that anyone can already roll for any skill...this is basically allowing them to add their proficiency bonus, and clarify certain situations where a roll might be at disadvantage if it was a skill the character was unfamiliar with.)

Last edited:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
What about training proficiency in a skill? Since the book doesn't mention it, I assume it isn't an option in RAW, but how would you houserule this? (Since, obviously, one person can train another in a skill.)
DMG has a segment on training as a reward and part of the reward is gaining proficiency in a skill. There's no cost associated with it, so it's basically "free" (as free as a reward is).

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
DMG has a segment on training as a reward and part of the reward is gaining proficiency in a skill. There's no cost associated with it, so it's basically "free" (as free as a reward is).
Do you remember where that segment is? Nothing is leaping out at me.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
(1) What determines whether or not a character can teach a language or tool? Just that they have it themselves?
It's up to the DM as XGE merely mentions it must be an "instructor."

However, I'll reason that not everyone is a good teacher. I may be fluent in a second language, but it doesn't mean I'd have a clue how to go about teaching another, or that I'd have the patience to do Language 101 for hours on end every day for weeks for my buddy. Don't I have a gawd to attend to, or weapons practice, or new spells to research? As a roleplay matter, if PCs in my game don't have a good reason they'd make good professors, then they need to roleplay finding a real teacher.
(2) How much would teaching while traveling extend this?
Per XGE, training is done in increments of "work weeks." A work week is 5 days, 8 hours a day. So, if your adventuring week can accommodate this, great. Personally, I'm not sure how well one could learn a new tool while riding a horse, or even in a bumpy wagon, etc., while keeping a watchful eye for danger, doing campfire duty and guard duty, and so on. I'm of the opinion the spirit of the rule is more like a classroom/apprentice setting where one can focus themselves on nothing but a crash course.
(3) What about training proficiency in a skill? Since the book doesn't mention it, I assume it isn't an option in RAW, but how would you houserule this? (Since, obviously, one person can train another in a skill.)
It is a legal reward, subject to DM approval, covered in the DMG as "prestigious training," the kind of special reward you might get instead of treasure. So, it is an option, but not one you can normally just throw gold at and get. For me, these types of rewards should be extra special and perhaps, at best, only seen once a campaign. Unlike XGE, it has no set time frames, either because it predates XGE or is so special the DM will assign a learning time or just give it outright (e.g. a gift of the gawds).

For example, anyone can try to deceive another person, but the legendary Spymaster of Kolkavia has an uncanny way that has become the stuff of local tavern and bedtime stories. Thanks to your service to the kingdom, he will take on a single apprentice for 1 year to learn his techniques, which exist only in his mind and cannot be learned from a book. All others who might purport to teach you these skills are merely telling you things you already know.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases