• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DPR Calculator, GWM, and Primeval Thule Weapons

I'm in the very early stages of planning a new PT campaign and had some theorycraft questions.

First, is there a current (updated post-SCAG) and accurate DPR or DPAD thread (or online calculator that people have had good results with)? I haven't been able to locate one if it exists.

Second, I am looking at possibly tweaking or removing GWM/SS and want to see how badly that would discourage the use of two-handed weapons. Has anyone already done the heavy-lifting to determine the DPR difference with and without GWM in the mix? In a pulp setting like Primeval Thule I don't want to tone it down so much that the hulking barbarian or fighter is falling behind the rogue or paladin.

Third, has anyone played with the one-handed heavy weapons introduced in Primeval Thule? Did they encourage sword-and-board use too much when used with GWM?

Thanks!

First, is there a current (updated post-SCAG) and accurate DPR or DPAD thread (or online calculator that people have had good results with)? I haven't been able to locate one if it exists.

You can use mine: http://maxwilson.github.io/RollWeb/Roll/

Click on the Help link for some extra instructions, but the long and the short of it is that you type in a dice formula like "avg.2.13a?2d6+5" for "two attacks that hit on a 13 or better, at advantage, and do 2d6+5 damage on a hit" and it will compute the probability for you and give you back the average damage. It accounts for crits but not Brutal Critical or half-orc hits.

If you take off the "avg." part it will just give you a specific roll, different every time, instead of the mathematical average, along with an "Explain" button that shows what rolls were involved in that result.

You can also use it for computing saving throws, e.g. "avg.8.14?" shows you how many out of 8 orcs will on average succeed on a saving throw that requires a 14 or better.

Remove ads