• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draconomicon: surprises ahead! (scoop + speculation)

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Spatula said:
Jeez, prices have gone up. :( $40 for a monster splat?

Actually, it's the same price and page count as the 3E Draconomicon that will have been released five years ago by the time the 4E one comes out.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Matthew L. Martin said:
Actually, it's the same price and page count as the 3E Draconomicon that will have been released five years ago by the time the 4E one comes out.

Kinda goes against Mourn's point of inflation on the other books then doesn't it? A secondary book with the same cost as a previous secondary book while the main books go up in cost and don't share the same page count as previous?

Three_Haligonians

First Post
I thought this was a thread about dragons?

I too, houseruled that Green Dragons had a sonic breath weapon in 3.5 (because, I also, didn't like the overlap). This made me think about the news types of damage we are seeing in 4e and so perhaps the new dragons will have breath weapons of these types.

A yellow dragon with a radiant breath weapon.. for example. If this were the case, perhaps a new dragon will have a sonic breath weapon, black will have acid, and green will have poison - going back to the old "it's chlorine gas" days.

Hmm.. even if I am wrong, I think I may houserule that anyway.

J from Three Haligonians

RavinRay

Explorer
At least for the cover, it's not another red dragon. It sorta monopolized the 3e books (as well as Dragons: Worlds Afire).

I wonder if Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic especially (with the part on variant dragon abilities) are hints as to how 4e dragons will be different. Maybe some dragons will rely more on physical abilities, others on magical, yet others on mental, and this will be reflected in wildly varying ability scores and the like.

Remove ads