• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon #355

MKMcArtor

First Post
Nightfall said:
How about just quasi-anime style? ;)

Oh believe me, if I were the art director there'd be tons more of that! As it is, I think Sarah does an excellent job balancing the different looks of different artists. I always enjoy it when Andrew Hou, James Zhang, and Julie Dillon appear in the magazine. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mike,

That's cool. I do like the art in Dragon most of the time. Especially this time around with Dragon 355. Can't wait to see 356 though. ;)

frankthedm

First Post
Lets advance that giant slug to 20 HD! [Sblock=20HD Advanced Giant Slug] Advanced Giant slug Huge Vermin
Hit Dice: 20d8+45 ( 135 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft., 20’ burrow
Armor Class: 16( -2 size, +8 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+31
Attack: Bite +21 melee (1d8+12 plus 1d6 acid) or Acid +14 ranged touch, 20’ range, 6d6 Acid.
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid bite, Acid Spit
Special Qualities: Vermin traits, Immune Acid, Rubbery form, Saltwater Aversion
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 10, Con 21, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Move Silently +7*
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None

COMBAT

Acid Spit (Ex): Ranged touch, 20’ range, damage 6d6 Acid. The target’s armor and clothing is also dissolved unless it makes a Reflex DC 25 save. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Acid Bite (Ex): A giant slug deals an extra 1d6 points of acid damage every time it bites an opponent.
Rubbery form (Ex): Can move through a space 10’ wide without squeezing. It may move trough an are 5 feet wide taking the standard penalties for squeezing.
Saltwater Aversion (Ex): One bucket of saltwater can scare away a giant slug. Complete immersion in saltwater is lethal to them.
Skills: *They receive a +8 racial bonus on Move silently checks.[/sblock]

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Frank,

See I'd just add a Gigantic template (from Green Ronin's Advanced Beastiary) and go from there.

But that works too! ;)

*is very happy with Dragon #355*

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, got my copy on Wednesday, but haven't been around to post. ;)

I'll start by posting the cut text. i'm not going to get silly and look at every little thing that was changed (because, except for grammar and other cosmetic things, for the most part everything stayed the same), but here is everything that was a full sentence or more cut out. some of it was undoubtedly cut for space, some of it was probably lost for being "too 1E/2E", but if you can make use of it in your home campaigns, here you go:

CAVE FISHER
SAMPLE ENCOUNTERS
Cluster (EL 4-6): Cave fishers prefer to lair in small groups with others of their kind, consisting of 2-4 individuals. When working in tandem, they often try to bring down larger prey.

CAVE FISHERS IN EBERRON
The dwarves of the Mror Holds consider cave fishers insidious pests. Some cave fisher species have adapted to live in the bowels of Sharn. House Phiarlan and Thuranni particularly prize ropes crafted from cave fisher filament.

CAVE FISHERS IN FAERUN
Cave fishers are most often found in the Underdark, particularly in areas where bats and other subterranean vermin are present. Grimlocks occasionally train them as pets or lair near them, finding their similar nonvisual senses to be a boon. Duergar find cave fisher eggs to be a particular delicacy, and often engage in eating contests to test each other's fortitude.

SCARECROW
SAMPLE ENCOUNTERS
Individual (CR 3): An individual scarecrow is usually implemented as a guardian or sleeper agent, left to look harmless in fields, but moving to attack intruders or targets when its programming is met.

Gang (EL 5-8): Groups of 2-6 scarecrows are occasionally spread out across a field, serving as perimeter guards. Their creators often give them commands to move towards any screams they hear, so if one activates, the intruder may soon find itself surrounded.

Sages speculate that fear from a scarecrow's victims keeps its flickering eyes alight, and the warmth of these supernatural flames wards off cold.

These [conscious] scarecrows hate fire and seek colder climates.

SCARECROWS IN EBERRON
The nihilistic Children of Winter druidic sect often craft scarecrows to threaten the farmers of the western Eldeen Reaches and eastern Aundair. Some sentient scarecrows are rumored to join forces with the warforged that follow the Lord of the Blades; these warforged regard the scarecrows as inferiors, but realize their utility. After the Mourning, many scarecrows in the broken lands mysteriously gained sentience; they now prowl the Mournland and the surrounding lands, preying on the inhabitants.

SCARECROWS IN FAERUN
Scarecrows are often found in Thay and Rashemen, where they are used to discourage bandits. Scarecrows are also finding popularity in Amn, where they are used to hunt down members of the ogre mage Sothillis's army. They are not uncommon in the farming countryside of the Dalelands.

MAEDAR
The maedar’s mind eventually goes irrevocably mad from being trapped inside the tiny stone.

A glyptar does not care whether it lives or dies; it will not aid a character in destroying it, but it will not stop a character from doing so.

Maedars in Faerûn
Maedars most commonly live in the wilder regions of northern Faerûn, with the greatest numbers in the Crags or in the Spine of the World. Maedars occasionally slip into Waterdeep to buy and trade items of a more civilized nature as gifts for their medusa mates, most often exquisite robes and masterwork or magical bows. An unscrupulous gem dealer in Waterdeep secretly sells glyptars, sometimes offering them as ioun stones or set in the pommel of magical weapons. Whether this merchant simply does this for a profit or a darker agenda remains unknown at this time.

OBLIVIAX
Memory moss robs others of their existences to improve its own measly lot in life.

Razz

Banned
Banned
Nightfall said:
Mike,

That's cool. I do like the art in Dragon most of the time. Especially this time around with Dragon 355. Can't wait to see 356 though. ;)

Yeah I'd have to say my favorite art piece in #355 is the fighter on the Warrior section of Class Acts. Very anime-like, just how I like my art.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads