Dragon 404 & Dungeon 195 ToC Are Up

WalterKovacs

First Post
Also, the star pact original warlock, the strength based Cleric, and the original assassin haveall been getting some boosts in Dragon recently.

The important thing to remember is that Dragon is submission based, so it's more driven by what people offer to do than what is necessarily 'needed for the game'. So, part of the problem may be a lack of Seeker articles being offered. Also, because of how submissions are done, the 'call' for articles to support the under-supported classes meant there would be a lag time before they were recieved, editted, released, etc. They only call for submissions twice a year, and I believe now is the frst time they are asking for submissions after saying officially that the 'place' for new content for classes that 'need help' is Dragon. Expecting that stuff that was never asked for and no one necessarily knew they wanted or needed to have been submitted is a bit optimistic.

The issue from the book perspective is as following:

Heroes of Shadow requires you need the core book (Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom/Fallen Lands), but is usable by older stuff. A book like Arcane Power would have stuff that requires PHB1, PHB2, PHB3, Eberon Player's Guide, Forgotten Realm's Players Guide, Neverwinter Player's Guide, and possibly some of the previous Arcane Power, etc. The goal is to make the books easier to sell, so the evergreen books (i.e. the two essential core player books) are the only ones 'needed' to build characters out of the new books. They will support older stuff, but not in a direct way that requires someone to own a book their book store may no longer be carrying. So, for something like support for the Seeker or Runepriest would likely require a way to build one right out of the book (like the executioner assassin got in Heroes of Shadow, providing the original Assassin with some new utility powers, and later through support in Dragon, means to intermingle old and new).

With a book, you need older books to 'make them work'. With Dragon magazine, you have access to DDi, the compendium, the character builder. So, you have access to all the old content. So, even someone who didn't buy PHB3 (perhaps because the seeker and rune priest suck "right out of the box") would be able to use the new content since access to the new content comes with access to the old stuff as well.

Quickleaf

Legend
They really need articles w/help for classes like the Seeker that just plain suck.
Hey, my hybrid seeker ranger was a great sniper who could drop optimized ranged basic attacks as opportunity attacks and immediate reactions. And since I almost always went first there was a good chance I'd fey jumpshot two enemies to switch location. I had a lot of game changing openers, and the players loved that PC.

Then again I did take ranger hybrid to make the character work, so maybe I'm just proving your point?:eek:

But I did submit a seeker article for last review and didn't hear back about it so presumably they felt the other seeker article was enough support or they want to focus on the essentials ranger.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Hey, my hybrid seeker ranger was a great sniper who could drop optimized ranged basic attacks as opportunity attacks and immediate reactions. And since I almost always went first there was a good chance I'd fey jumpshot two enemies to switch location. I had a lot of game changing openers, and the players loved that PC.

Then again I did take ranger hybrid to make the character work, so maybe I'm just proving your point?:eek:

But I did submit a seeker article for last review and didn't hear back about it so presumably they felt the other seeker article was enough support or they want to focus on the essentials ranger.

Most likely yes :) Good luck w/the article tho, I'm always happy to see more good material come out for classes

Shroomy

Adventurer
Does somebody know if the ninja supports the o-ssassin or if it is an essential build like the executioner?

I thought I read somewhere that it supports the o-assassin, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was support for both builds.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Man, I miss the days of Paizo putting a low, mid and high-level adventure in every issue.

Instead we get two heroic tier adventures.... because we certainly haven't seen enough heroic support in the last year.

*bangs head on wall*

Just a head's up: Shawn Merwin is writing an Epic-tier adventure, which he promises will be heavy on roleplaying and history. Not sure whether it will be Dungeon or published (I suspect the latter).

Cheers!

Remove ads