• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Category? I'll be much abliged!

The Anti-Entropy Dragon ought to have an aura which makes diseases worse - since germs reproduce so fast, they ought to be more benefited than anything else by a disinterested force of Life/Growth. Perhaps any creature with a disease in the aura must save or take the disease's damage every round (in 3.5e) or must make a save against the disease every round at some penalty (in 4e)?

paradox42

First Post
Anti-Spirit as Anti-Divinity could work, though only if your base assumption of godhood is that it's related to/a function of the actual Spirit dimension. Entities with godlike power that happen to have other bases, such as the Umbrals we've never seen yet, would lose nothing to Anti-Spirit. Of course, that just makes it a better monster I suppose.

Anti-Entropy being like the Thing makes great sense (and incidentally, the John Carpenter movie was actually a fairly close adaptation of the actual story it and the 1950's movie starring James Arness as the plant-Thing were both ostensibly based on- I've read it- the 1950's movie definitely was not), and the acceleration of disease is just the sort of great touch an apocalyptic monster needs to work well in a game. Nicely suggested. You could potentially look to the Elder Evil, Ragnorra, as something approximating an Anti-Entropy Dragon- at least a Wyrmling one.

Anti-Thought would actually look a lot like an Azathoth, I think- it would have to be a virtually unthinking beast to really exemplify its intended aspect. Perhaps a super-Tarrasque would be the way to go with this one; it can't think itself but it lowers the intellect of everything else nearby and prevents the use of any abilities requiring thought- such as magic or psionics.

Anti-Entropy being like the Thing makes great sense

It's an awesome idea, but how would it be represented in D&D terms? Especially 4e, which is much less friendly to irreversible effects like that?

(and incidentally, the John Carpenter movie was actually a fairly close adaptation of the actual story it and the 1950's movie starring James Arness as the plant-Thing were both ostensibly based on- I've read it- the 1950's movie definitely was not),

Very true.

and the acceleration of disease is just the sort of great touch an apocalyptic monster needs to work well in a game. Nicely suggested.

Thanks!

The idea comes from a creature/deity/Great Old One I've been playing around with the idea for for a long time -- essentially a combination of an embodiment of natural selection with the Aztec goddess Coatlicue. It could be for a game, but if I ever had time I'd finish the sci-fi story I was going to write involving it ... sigh, never enough time...

That creature would have been far more powerful than a mere Eschatolic dragon though!

Anti-Thought would actually look a lot like an Azathoth, I think- it would have to be a virtually unthinking beast to really exemplify its intended aspect. Perhaps a super-Tarrasque would be the way to go with this one; it can't think itself but it lowers the intellect of everything else nearby and prevents the use of any abilities requiring thought- such as magic or psionics.

Sounds cool. Antimagic aura, probably, and Intelligence drain in a big radius.

Anti-Time, in addition to the things others have suggested, ought to have a slowing aura as it begins to consume the time around it. I also like the idea of it going backwards in time; perhaps some attack based on eating the future of its victims?

Anti-Matter Dragon should have an Anti-Matter Effect breath weapon, and probably be extremely resistant to weapon attacks, but not very resistant to energy/magic attacks. It might also have a damaging aura of hard radiation as it annihilates matter that contacts its body; or if you want a more fantasy approach, the damaging aura might represent the slow decay of matter near it.

Remove ads