• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E Dragon + Issue 26 is out

gyor

Adventurer
I noticed that in one of the posters Zariel looks like an Asura instead of a devil or angel.

Last edited:

lkj

Explorer
I noticed that in one of the posters Zariel looks like an Asura instead of a devil or angel.
Interesting. Which image? And when you say 'asura' are you specifically referring to the Hindu adversaries of the Devas (and often sort of demonic in temperament). Or is there another popular context I'm not aware of?

Adrian

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Interesting. Which image? And when you say 'asura' are you specifically referring to the Hindu adversaries of the Devas (and often sort of demonic in temperament). Or is there another popular context I'm not aware of?

Adrian
D&D monster type. Borrows the name from Hindu texts.

If I recall correctly, D&D Asuras had flaming wings and bird feet. I think they were CN with good tendencies or CG (although most of the descriptions leaned towards CN with good tendencies).

lkj

Explorer
Sigh. I really dislike the format of Dragon+. Is it possible to download them as PDFs?
Not that I'm aware of. They offer it on their Android and iOS apps. But the format is basically the same except that you can swipe through pages with your finger. Maybe someone else knows a trick for saving the whole thing as a pdf. But it's not obvious to me.

AD

gyor

Adventurer
Sigh. I really dislike the format of Dragon+. Is it possible to download them as PDFs?
I wish they'd publish them as PDFs, you can even have hyperlinks in PDFs. The APP is awesome, works slowly, takes up way too much space on my phone.

gyor

Adventurer

Adrian
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Asura

In Hinduisms while at times it can refer to evil spirits, it's abit more complicated then that. For example I think the Rig Veda references the Indra as an Asura, and that was written back when Indra was a lot more popular then he is now.

Asuras is D&D are basically similar to Angels, but more Chaotic to the Angels Lawful inclinations,
serving Gods of Good (and some times Chaos). They see Devas as rivals.

There were a type of more powerful Asuras I believe and at the top an Asura general.

I could see WotC merging the Asura into Angels, a type based on the passions of a God, where Devas would be the thoughts of a God

It's be an interesting twist if instead of a Solar, Planetar, or Deva, Zariel was a Asura Angel, so falling from not just good to evil, but from choas to lawful as well.

lkj

Explorer
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Asura

In Hinduisms while at times it can refer to evil spirits, it's abit more complicated then that. For example I think the Rig Veda references the Indra as an Asura, and that was written back when Indra was a lot more popular then he is now.

Asuras is D&D are basically similar to Angels, but more Chaotic to the Angels Lawful inclinations,
serving Gods of Good (and some times Chaos). They see Devas as rivals.

There were a type of more powerful Asuras I believe and at the top an Asura general.

I could see WotC merging the Asura into Angels, a type based on the passions of a God, where Devas would be the thoughts of a God

It's be an interesting twist if instead of a Solar, Planetar, or Deva, Zariel was a Asura Angel, so falling from not just good to evil, but from choas to lawful as well.
Oh, for sure. It's complicated (like many aspects of Hindu lore). But, on average, asuras tend to be adversaries and serve as the 'bad guys' more often than not. Anyway, I don't have any problem with the use in D&D. I had just missed it.

AD

In the previous editions that had asuras, angels could be of any good alignment. Now that angels are exclusively LG, there is plenty of room in 5e to bring back CG asuras as their own thing without creating any redundancy. (I actually like the "redundancy" in Planescape cosmology, because the distinctions in theme and feel were interesting and meaningful in the setting, but I understand how some people prefer it simpler.)

dave2008

Adventurer
Wow, these just keep getting better and better (or at least longer). A lot of content in this issue. I also apprecitate the downloads of the old dragon mag articles on Hell ("The Nine Hells" & "The Hells Revisited").

gyor

Adventurer
In the previous editions that had asuras, angels could be of any good alignment. Now that angels are exclusively LG, there is plenty of room in 5e to bring back CG asuras as their own thing without creating any redundancy. (I actually like the "redundancy" in Planescape cosmology, because the distinctions in theme and feel were interesting and meaningful in the setting, but I understand how some people prefer it simpler.)
They could be of any alignment in those editions, but they acted lawful like not being able to lie.

Advertisement