• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon making?

Krishnath

First Post
Well, creating a dragon type from scratch is a tremendous task, it often takes days from initial concept to finished dragon. (Unless you're like me and go into overdrive when working :D) But it's not something I recommend you try before you have read through the various dragon descriptions in the MM (And preferrebly own it for reference.)

But here is the basics:

All dragons have twelve age categories, raging from wyrmling to great wyrm.
Dragons usually do not develop SR and their frightful presence until they're at least young adults (fifth age category)
Dragons gain Damage Reduction 5/+1 when they're young adults, it increases to 10/+1 at the Mature Adult Age, 15/+2 at the Very Old age and finally 20/+3 at the Wyrm age (Second to last age.)
All dragons are immune to one or more forms of attack, it's usually an energy type, but there are dragons that are immune to such diverse attack forms as charms, petrification and energy drain.

And as far as I know there was a 'nickle' dragon, I think it was one of the 'Ferrous' dragons. I think they vere described in an old Dragon magazine or some such.

I hope I was of assistance :D

qstor

Adventurer
The conversions I've done were all based on one of the dragon types in the Monster Manual. I look at the hit dice and use the abilities accordingly. The abilities vary, good dragons for some reason have higher charisma.

Mike

Krishnath

First Post
You guys really need to check out the Shadow Dragons stats (from Monsters of Faerûn), of all dragons so far, a great shadow wyrm has by far the highest Int, Wis and Cha. In a one on one fight between a great gold wyrm and a great shadow wyrm, my money is on the shadow (Can you say drain 8 levels with a breathweapon, 4 on a successful save. :D)

On the topic of dragons, if you make a red, gold or brass dragon npc for youe game, be sure to give it the Pyro feat from Song and Silence, +1 damage per breathweapon dice is some good (24d10+24 for a great red wyrm :D)

Later,

Ferret

Explorer
Nah I'm lazy and just c/p the copper(My fave) and edited/ing. Going to be a small dragon, and fast(Tiny twice and 300 at age 12)

Sojourn

First Post
Ferrous dragons appeared in dragon magazine, & got updated, with sample dragons, for 3.5. Fivnikama is the nickel dragon, I started with him since he was the weakest sample dragon. When he died his heart turned to a lump of nickel worth 8000 nickels- 400gp. Then other ferrous dragons showed up, 1 per week, to avenge their kin killed the week before. I stopped when I had 2 Iron Dragons left, who were way beyond the party's level, but they'll show up to pick a 3-way fight between the party and a red dragon. One of my favorite strategic elements is "we're fighting the same enemy but we're not on your side". Dragons are a little more dangerous on my world- "awaken SR" feat from Dragonomicon gives them SR from birth, and Psionic resistance at -5, = amounts for psionic dragons. Same for fear aura. Even a cute, little bitty dragon is recognized by all life forms as the apex predator that will grow up to be a threat one day. Dragons all have Power attack and take -1 to hit for +1 damage, per age category. The +60 to 72 damage per round from a Great Wyrm who won't miss even with the -12 attack lets the PCs know they're in an escape & evade situation. DR is +2 per age, maxing out at 25 for Great Wyrms, 1/2 of that vs. dragonbone or dragonbane weapons (for the wrong color- using black dragonbane vs. red) and 0 DR vs true dragonbanes or holy weapons, or vs. barbarian rage.

Remove ads