D&D 5E Dragon of Icespire Peak Retrospective

Zardnaar

Legend
So I've owned this adventure for a while just never got around to running it.

Might do it soon but set it on Midgard and spice it up.

Anyway just wondering what everyone else thinks of it now it has been out for a few years.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I was fortunate enough to play in this when a group member took his second turn DMing.

Over all, I found it a lot of fun, even if someone predictable (but I've been DMing/playing for over 40 years... so I don't often see things that surprise me).

So I've owned this adventure for a while just never got around to running it.

Might do it soon but set it on Midgard and spice it up.

Anyway just wondering what everyone else thinks of it now it has been out for a few years.
I ran it for my table when it first came out. I felt like some of the material was just filler but since it was set in the same area as Lost Mines of Phandelver from the Starter Set, I used some of that material where I felt it fit in better. I added a bit about the Cult of the Dragon cultists encountered in LMoP being responsible for the white dragon coming into the area to begin with since I don't remember the adventure really providing a good reason for a white dragon wandering into the area to begin with.
I made the group trying to figure out how to steal from the dragon on Icespire Peak into Cult of the Dragon members trying to figure out how to gain favor with the dragon for example. They had used a ritual to lure the dragon there and then fled when it attacked them.

Worth noting there's an extended campaign in D&D Beyond that I believe you get for free if you use the code that came in the box. It gives you 3 more digital sections of the adventure that introduces a new town and provides a path to get to level 12 (I think). I found some of that material more interesting.

aco175

Legend
I ran it and the players found it overall good. There were a few areas that I modified. DMsGuild has most of the message board missions as supplements with game stats and such. I needed to add more to the dragon encounter at the end of the campaign to boost it a bit for my table being more experienced that a starter game.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've run a few bits of it. It's not as good as LMoP, but it's easier for new DMs to run (making it good as a Starter) and it integrates well with LMoP if one wants to mix-and-match (possibly what they will do with the LMoP remix book next year).

Remove ads