• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Origins

johnsemlak

First Post
There's an good essay by Gygax in the introduction to the Slayer's Guide to Dragons by Mongoose Pub where he describes how he created the original D&D 'set' of multi-colored dragons. About 3-4 of the different dragons were at least loosely based on legends of some sort (from what culture I don't know) fo a dragon breathing some sort of breath weapon. The Red Dragon is the most well known. The Green Dragon perhaps came from the Polynesion myths mentioned above; a couple of others may have been based on ohter myths. Naturally, Gygax rounded out the list with a few basically original creations.

Ambrus

Explorer
There are also a few dragons scattered throughout greek mythology, most notably the dragon Ladon who guarded the three golden apples in the garden of the Hesperides. When he was slain by Hercules during his eleventh labor, Hera placed him in the firmament as the constellation Draco.

Although this is mostly conjecture, I believe that D&D dragons had their origins with Smaug. Tolkien created Smaug based on various teutonic dragons such as St George's dragon, Fafnir and Beowulf's dragon. He elevated Smaug however from simply a rampaging monster to a wily and beguiling creature. Red dragons were most likely the first D&D dragons to challenge players in Gygax's and Arneson's adventures, essentially carbon copies of Smaug (red scaled, bat winged reptile, fire breathing, intelligent and evil, who hoards mounds of gold). The other chromatic dragons were probably created in short order to keep challenging players. It was a relatively easy job: keep changing the colour and breath weapons and the PCs won't know what to expect. The other Smaug-like qualities stayed pretty much the same (bat wings, intelligent, lots of treasure). The true Smaug-like clones, the reds, remained the strongest, smartest and coolest evil dragons however.

After DMing a rainbow of evil dragons, Gygax probably wanted to surprise his players with something entirely new: good dragons. The first metallic was the gold dragon. Gygax, who was the lead designer of the original Oriental Adventures hardcover, had a certain fondness for asian myths. Of all dragons, the golds are most closely tied to the oriental dragon model (wise, beneficient, longer, sinous and with whiskers). Because in D&D good must always triumph over evil, the golds were created to be even stronger then the Smaug-like reds. The other metallics were probably created in short order afterwards to mirror the five chromatic dragons species; each with a different colour and breath weapon.

If anyone has any historical information that contradicts this, I'd love to see it.

johnsemlak

First Post
Ambrus said:
After DMing a rainbow of evil dragons, Gygax probably wanted to surprise his players with something entirely new: good dragons. The first metallic was the gold dragon. Gygax, who was the lead designer of the original Oriental Adventures hardcover, had a certain fondness for asian myths.

One small thing, I believe Oriental Dragons made their first D&D appearance in Fiend Folio, not Oriental Adventures. As I understand in fact Gygax had little incluence on the design of OA.

Roman

First Post
johnsemlak said:
One small thing, I believe Oriental Dragons made their first D&D appearance in Fiend Folio, not Oriental Adventures. As I understand in fact Gygax had little incluence on the design of OA.

In that case it is probably less likely that they were the inspiration for metallic dragons than we assumed in this thread. Hmm, what was then though?

ShorelisNailo

First Post
Many Mythos

The dragons dominate almost any ancient history...Most of them were Wise and EVIL.That's why they almost always mythology shows them as butchers... Babylonians and Assyrians had the first myths...After them Chinesse had many myths,and dragons were the embodiment of minor gods (elements).Chinesse dragon's had many colors and had breath weapons but they didn't had wings...After that Greece also had many myths,and the first good dragons,guardians of many holy places...Drakos and Drakontas was the word and was a great honor these names pointing great will and power...also a great creator of laws in ancient athens was named Drakontas...Norse dragons had wings but were more destructive beings than wise....Tolkien and all the writers took many myths,and made a strange mixture that today was presented in DnD

-iF yOu eVeR SeE mY FaCe aGaIn ...ALL sHaLL DiEeEeE...

Remove ads