Dragon Reflections #9 - Welcome Wormy!

The Dragon Issue 9 was published in September 1977. It is 32 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. This issue saw the introduction of one of D&D's most beloved characters.

The Dragon Issue 9 was published in September 1977. It is 32 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. This issue saw the introduction of one of D&D's most beloved characters.

d9.jpg

Tim Kask's editorial is all about Origins '77. Kask has little positive to say regarding the convention, noting that "It seems to have fallen short of the rather optimistic attendance predictions" and also saying "We won’t go into the problems that 77 had: those that were there know what they were." A real rivalry was developing between Origins and GenCon at this time, and it was about to erupt into a paper war.

Nearly one-third of this issue is taken up by the conclusion of Harry O. Fischer's short story, "The Finzer Family." Given past feedback, it's hard to believe this much fiction would have been popular with the readership.

Professor Barker graces the pages of the magazine again, this time with a column called "Seal of the Imperium." Barker intended this as a regular feature where he would answer questions about Empire of the Petal Throne. As it happens, the column ceased after two appearances, with TSR's interest in the game apparently waning.

There are two articles for D&D. One is a wordy musing on alignment by Gary Gygax, while the other contains some useful treasure tables for tombs and crypts, from the pen of Jim Ward. And Brian Blume (co-owner of TSR) makes a rare written appearance with a collection of gunfighters for his Boot Hill game. All of this material is solid but not stellar.

More interesting is a new section called the Comix Cache, which includes the premier issue of Wormy. Wikipedia describes Wormy as a "cigar-chomping, pool hustling, wargaming dragon." The strip ran for about ten years and was much beloved by fans.

A peculiar fate awaited Wormy's creator, Dave Trampier. In 1977, Trampier had just joined TSR as a staff artist and was one of the principal illustrators for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons books (which were then in development). Most notably, he was responsible for the cover of the Player's Handbook, which remains one of the most iconic images in the history of the game.

In the late 80's, with his reputation as an RPG artist secure, Trampier suddenly disappeared. Royalty checks were returned unopened, and even his brother-in-law (game designer Tom Wham) did not know where he was. Theories abounded as to what had happened. Some said he had a massive argument with TSR; some thought he had undergone a religious conversion, while others simply assumed he was dead. Many mourned the loss of such of an important artist.

But the Trampier story was not over. Nearly fifteen years later, a student newspaper ran a story on the local taxi scene in Carbondale. The story featured a cabbie named David Trampier, who had moved there from Chicago a few months earlier. The famous artist was missing no more!

Word spread quickly in gaming networks that Trampier had been located, and numerous people reached out to him. However, he seems to have had no desire to become re-involved with the industry. His attitude changed in late 2013 when he found himself sick and facing unpayable medical bills. He sold some original D&D art and began making plans to republish Wormy. Sadly, he died before he could realize these plans. He was just 59.

(If you study the history of RPGs for any length of time, you will grow depressed at the number of important game designers who end up sick and impoverished in their old age. Surely, we can do better.)

To happier news. Next issue of The Dragon sees something new - the inclusion of a complete game!

This article was contributed by M.T. Black as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.M.T. Black is a game designer and DMs Guild Adept. Please follow him on Twitter @mtblack2567 and sign up to his mailing list. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

M.T. Black

M.T. Black

pemerton

Legend
he also created forces within Greyhawk actively working for neutrality - particularly Mordenkainen and his Circle of Eight.
I think the Circle of Eight is a later creation, isn't it? I thought Gygax had the "Citadel of Eight".

I'm not sure how reliable Wikipedia is on these matters, but it gives us the following:

Gygax had the eight characters form an alliance that he called the Circle of Eight. Gygax had the Eight construct a stronghold in the middle of an evil land so they would not have to travel far to find adventure. After three years of game time, the resulting structure was the Obsidian Citadel, a massive and impregnable octagonal castle from which Gygax could direct any of the Eight to sally forth in search of adventure.

After Gygax was ousted from TSR in 1985, the company took over creative control of the published Greyhawk setting, including the names of any characters who had ever been named in TSR publications. In 1988, The City of Greyhawk boxed set by Carl Sargent and Rik Rose remolded Gygax's old "Circle of Eight" into a new plot device. ,. . . The mandate of this new Circle was to act as neutral referees between Good and Evil, never letting one side or the other gain the upper hand for long.​

None of the Gygax-era treatments of Mordenkainen that I know (eg in Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, or the "reports" of RPGing with Monty Haul and gang in some early Dragon magazines, present Mordenkainen as fighting to "preserve neutrality". Which makes sense: Gygax's presentation of neutrality in his PHB and DMG is precisely not as something that one can work towards - according to True Neutrals (as described by Gygax), human action and striving produce imbalances in the natural order that undermine natural harmonies and result in suffering.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Mordenkainen was a PC :) So, it wasn't EGG working for neutrality, it was one of his players, who was, more or less, immortalized as a major NPC in the commercial version of the setting.

Yes, EGGS own PC. (He was a player as well as DM). Mordenkainen was infamously amoral.

But EGGs modules are full of evil villains to be defeated and dark conspiracies to be unraveled. In his writings, he noted the usefulness of longer term threats as a way to sustain player engagement. Gold and glory were good, but not always enough.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Trampier's artwork for the original DM Screen graces my computer monitor to this day. It remains my very favorite piece of D&D artwork. Many people feel that the golden age of D&D art came with Elmore, Easley, Parkinson, and Caldwell... but Trampier's art is second to none in my opinion (about neck and neck with Keith Parkinson). He didn't do as many full-on paintings, but his illustrations of monsters in particular are iconic.

Like many others, my introduction to the hobby is entwined with Trampier’s art. I started reading Dragon magazine at the library, and even though I didn’t understand the rules at the time (before I had even picked up a D&D book), the comics were a different story.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I wonder why I don't feel the same way about any artists today, as I do that list above.......age? Over saturation? Lack of products now?

Zarithar

Adventurer
The artwork for 5e is a mixed bag. Bland and kind of "safe" if you ask me. I think they hit their peak during 2e-3e with the likes of Brom, Lockwood, etc.

griffon8

Explorer
Ah, the introduction of Wormy.

I always wondered where Wormy's story would have gone if Trampier had the chance to continue it. There were so many little plot threads going on. Makes me want to see an attempt to finish it.

Similar projects have been done before. One of my favorite science fictions writers was H. Beam Piper. A continuation of his Fuzzy novels was commissioned and written by William Tunning. Then people who worry too much about continuity (which used to include me) got to deal with the discovery of the missing third novel written by Piper. The original novels are from 1963 & 1964. Tunning's sequel was published in 1981. Piper's third Fuzzy novel was published in 1984.

BTW, Little Fuzzy is in the public domain if you're interested in checking it out.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads