• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Shaman

Sharkon

First Post
Although the Dragon Shaman is not the most combat efficient class (as fas as i know) i would find it interesting to play once in a campaign a Dragonborn Dragon Shaman (mainly for rp reasons). So if anyone knows i would like suggestions and ideas of how to improve this class, including items, feats, multiclassing and anything else you might have in mind

Mistah J

First Post
Magic Item Compendium has the Dragon Spirit Cinture.

A magic.. belt? I believe, that gives your breath weapon a +1 damage die (or just a +1 damage if the breath weapon doesn't run on dice..).

It also gives a +1 DC to your breath weapon save if you are wielding a weapon that has an energy enhancement that matches your breath weapon energy type.

It is 2,000gp.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Well, let's see...

Draconomicon is beautiful for anything dragon-related. The magic items made specifically for dragons work on anything that's dragonblood. If you could ever get hands on it, the minor artifact (I tink it's an amulet, away from books) "Amulet of Supremacy" is awesome. Maximizes breath weapon for free.

Metabreath feats out of Draconomicon are good too. I personally like Clinging Breath (1/2 damage next round, +1 rd of recharge) and Recover Breath (-1 rd of recharge, min. 1).

Dragon Magic has one feat that should be a must for any Dragon Shaman: Double Draconic Aura. The name says it all :D.

Taking a level of Barbarian is suggested right there in PHB2, and it is somewhat good advice, but I would say stick with Dragon Shaman for all levels, if you want more flavor and better draconic abilities.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Not sure if you've already worked out your character or if your DM would allow it, but you could consider some alternative totem dragons that I worked out. I tried to keep them balanced, but some might be more useful in some circumstances than others. See my sig or else directly here.

pawsplay

Hero
Taking a single level in another class can help a dragon shaman shine. It may delay some abilities, but that one level could get you:

- 1d6 sneak attack
- the ability to use wizard or cleric wands
- martial weapon proficiency
- heavy armor proficiency
- a fighter bonus feat
- Track
- a useful level in a skill

and so forth.

Draz

Explorer
Another beautiful cheap item from MIC is the Caduceus Bracers. Let you do more stuff with your healing abilities. 2k.

Runestar

First Post
I typically see dragon shaman as little more than a 1 lv dip for cheap access to limited healing (tried a dragonborn warforged warblade1/crusader1/dragon shaman1/warblade+1 in a one-shot once). Was a blast to play. Optimizing PCs is so much easier when you don't have to worry about screwing up your future progression.;)

Not sure how it would fare as a straight class though.

Remove ads