• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Vs Dungeon magazine

diaglo

Adventurer
personally i think Dungeon has gone downhill, since Wolfgang left.

i will let my subscription run out. partly due to the inclusion of Poly. but mostly due to the increase in price and the decrease in what i deem as quality material.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I have also enjoyed the subtle change in the direction of the themes. I would love to see the focus to continue to grow on the how to play the game or helping people get more out of the game. Players and DMs get in ruts and it is nice to see rules and information on different aspects of the game.

I personally want to see articles focusing on running/playing in a big city, NPC developement, developing mystery. All of these have important aspect in both mechanics and setting and I believe it is information not covered in the core rules or many expansions. There have been many threads looking for similar information.

I will probably renew Dragon and not Dungeon. I usually don't have time to read both and Dragon easily fits my reading schedule of 10 minutes here, another 5 minutes there.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
I personally want to see articles focusing on running/playing in a big city, NPC developement, developing mystery. All of these have important aspect in both mechanics and setting and I believe it is information not covered in the core rules or many expansions. There have been many threads looking for similar information.

Yes, that is also pretty much the exact kind of thing I am looking for in Dragon as well. Please, no more magic items, PrC's, even spells are a little stale to me these days (I buy d20 books for that kind of thing). We need more DM/player advice articles, much like what we've seen in the past few months.

I will probably renew Dragon and not Dungeon. I usually don't have time to read both and Dragon easily fits my reading schedule of 10 minutes here, another 5 minutes there.

Heh, Reading the supposedly "vile," sealed adventure in the recent Dungeon, I have to admit 2 things: (1.) I really like the sealed adventure, from what I've read of it (I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I like what I've read so far); and (2.) I can't for the life of me figure out why they sealed this thing! I think every issue of Dungeon should have modules of this "mature" nature, and frankly I don't see any big deal whatsoever to it. So drugs and rape exist in the campaign world (as evils to be vanquished); why can't D&D evolve past the kid-stuff and put this kind of thing in every adventure? Most players are certainly mature enough to cope with that...? (and consequently, I really don't see the need for the BoVD in all this; I think it comes pretty naturally without the "crunch" like vile damage, etc.)...

Blackthorne

First Post
Although Dungeon No. 95 was pretty lame, I´d say that Dungeon Magazine gives you the most bang for your buck.

The adventure modules are mostly superior to the Adventure Path Series.

I really do not care anymore for Dragon Magazine. IMHO, it has become a playground for feats, PrCs and spells which should have been playtested more thoroughly.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
I've got subscriptions to both, Dragon for years and this is my first Dungeon subscription. I much prefer the Dungeon side to the Poly side though but I still think that it's a very good mag.

Last edited:

EarthsShadow

First Post
I need to get a subscription to both as both are good magazines, but I do second the motion of getting rid of the fiction stories in Dragon magazine as they are totally useless to me and I would rather see those pages used for further gaming resources.

Heck, I wouldn't mind one bit if they took out the fiction and replaced the fiction with a d20 Modern article in its place.

darkbard

Legend
well, i for one like the fiction. even though the fiction piece is occasionally of poor quality, it is much more often quite good. it even introduced me to j. gregory keyes who has become my favorite fantasy writer (well, after tolkien, early lieber, etc.). sure, more d&d related stuff would be great, but i think dragon is an excellent forum for fantasy writers, many of whom will be writing directly to their audience.

cbatt

First Post
I gave up on Dragon three issues after the release of 3e. The core game has enough crunch for me and my group.

However, I buy Dungeon like it's going out of style. Heck, it's worth it just for the Polyhedron mini-games, imho. I also get a lot of adventure ideas from the adventures, even if I never run them. They're usually of very decent quality too; generally as good, if not better, than most stand alone modules.

(of course, I speak as a DM, not as a player. YMMV.)

mmadsen

First Post
I'll be the first to admit that, according to most rpg-related internet "polls" I've seen, I'm clearly in the minority of gamers, because I don't feel that "crunchier = better." I vastly prefer reading about how to accomplish something in terms of the game itself, rather than getting caught up in the minutiae of details, like magic items or Prestige Classes, that I most likely will never use.
One of the great strengths of "crunch" is that it's concrete and specific. You immediately know how to use it. I'd love to see more "fluff" tht wasn't just a good read, but had enough good concrete examples to use immediately. (The Knight and Swashbuckler articles approach this level of usability.)

Robbert Raets

Explorer
I just love Dungeon and Dragon and Polyhedron.

Though choice if you can only choose one. If you're a player, buy Dragon and ask your DM if he can look into Dungeon/Polyhedron.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads