Dragonlance Dragonlance 5E

RotGrub

First Post
I really doubt it. Why pay for a product if you're only going to use 1/6 to 1/10 of it? Especially given the antipathy many gamers feel for at least one setting, I really, really doubt it.

I mean, I'm a hater of a bunch of settings. I'd pay for a well-done Greyhawk book, but a book that was also full of stuff for the settings I consider to be crap? No chance. Hell, I've skipped products that were otherwise pretty cool because they had too much setting material for what I consider to be junk settings in the past. I don't think such an unfocused, diffuse product has a market.

I could be wrong, of course, but WotC has publicly said that they aren't interested in publishing stuff that isn't going to knock it out of the park. And that kind of thing is certainly not gonna do that.

Besides, it's easy- I mean, super easy- to just use old edition material. I've converted a weird planar race from 3e in all of two minutes with just the tiniest amount of work. It's easy to do- it's just hard to do and then make a profit out of it.

There are two reasons why such a book would be invaluable.

1. Many of us want to use our old campaign setting boxed sets again for 5e, but we just don't have the time to convert all the rules, create new sub classes, spells, monsters, etc..
2. We want consistent fan created content to appear in the DM guild. For example, it makes no sense that every fan created Ravenloft adventure should use a different set of rules for powers checks.

I have yet to buy a single 5e module because I would only use about 1/20th of the content, but I would certainly pick up a book that had rules conversions for all the D&D campaign settings. The fact is that we all ready have all the content we need for each campaign setting. All we need are rules conversions and 5e can re-claim them all.

RotGrub

First Post
However, if 50% of the market is homebrew then potentially all of it could be useful for that group. I know I fit in that category

I totally agree. I don't ever run published modules, but I do use official campaign settings. I honestly feel completely left out.

Remove ads