Dragonlance based on Mormonism?!?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I just realized this thread was started while I was
As much as I would love to see a DragonLance trilogy of movies based off the best selling Chronicles (think Lord of the Rings, only not so dark)...

Due to the number of stories and complexity, I think a Game of Thrones type TV series would be best (except for how they ended GoT, now that was Horrible).

With The Wheel of Time and the Witcher getting series I could see this happening. Does Hulu have a fantasy series yet?

PabloM

Adventurer
Yes, Dragonlance has very clear allusions and parallels to what Latter-day Saints call "The Restoration". It was done very deliberately as designed by Tracy and Laura when they drove from Utah to work in Wisconsin (at TSR.) I was a toddler at the time, but I've heard the story often.

It's not an attempt to inject "Mormon" philosophy into fantasy, but to act as a great foundation for an epic story. That being said, I know Tracy loves to hear when people say that these books have drawn them closer to their faith, whatever faith they hold.

In the end, Margret and Tracy wrote these stories to inspire good in people (and to support their families in the process). I love and am grateful to both of them for that lasting example and those wonderful books.

-Curtis Hickman

Thank you for sharing this, it is always a pleasure to know a little more about how the Krynn principle was cooked.

Zardnaar

Legend
Even if it is so what? D&D has biblical references in it, resurrection, sticks to snakes, walk on water etc.

As long as something isn't to on the nose about it or is upfront about it if it is eh.

Dragonlance lost me after the second cataclysm.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Watch your language, please. This is a kid-friendly site.

My apologies. I had grown reliant upon the substitution filter and thought the relevant part of the word would become smiley faces, like they did on the old forums.

That said it is pretty hard to discuss anything related to the musical The Book of Mormon in a way that is swear free or kid friendly, as I'm sure you know since you've seen it.

I'll be more careful in the future.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I do have the most incurable potty mouth of anyone I've ever met, so if I do slip again please know it's not me defying Morrus, just like I said, a slip. But I'll try to avoid any slips. (LOL after saying that I dropped an f bomb in this very post but I caught it and went back and edited it lol.)

Even if it is so what? D&D has biblical references in it, resurrection, sticks to snakes, walk on water etc.

As long as something isn't to on the nose about it or is upfront about it if it is eh.

The so what is that, while as I said, anecdotally every Mormon I've ever met was super nice, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints really doesn't have a great track record ("I BELIEVE IN 1978 GOD CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE" to quote the musical), plus there's that whole effed up polygamy compound life thing which I've watched several documentaries on. Now, virtually every Christian sect has done horrible things in their history. All that's unique about LDS is that they've done deplorable stuff (again, mainly referring to the fundies living on the compounds with like 86 wives) within the last century.

Zardnaar

Legend
I do have the most incurable potty mouth of anyone I've ever met, so if I do slip again please know it's not me defying Morrus, just like I said, a slip. But I'll try to avoid any slips. (LOL after saying that I dropped an f bomb in this very post but I caught it and went back and edited it lol.)

The so what is that, while as I said, anecdotally every Mormon I've ever met was super nice, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints really doesn't have a great track record ("I BELIEVE IN 1978 GOD CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE" to quote the musical), plus there's that whole effed up polygamy compound life thing which I've watched several documentaries on. Now, virtually every Christian sect has done horrible things in their history. All that's unique about LDS is that they've done deplorable stuff (again, mainly referring to the fundies living on the compounds with like 86 wives) within the last century.

That's why I said be upfront. If you don't like it don't buy in.

I'm not religious myself but a lot if religious stuff makes great fantasy stories, movies etc.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The so what is that, while as I said, anecdotally every Mormon I've ever met was super nice, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints really doesn't have a great track record ....

I think it is time for you to read the Terms and Rules.

Specifically, in the section Keep it on topic: "And in this category I should mention the "no religion, no politics" rule -- please refrain from discussion of a religious or political nature. This last may seem a rather draconic rule, but it has helped keep the peace around here for a long time. "

Let me make this clear, to everyone - This thread is not an invitation to point out bad things about a religion. Please, do not continue to do so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases