Dragonlance based on Mormonism?!?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Dragonlance lost me after the second cataclysm.
Likewise.
I'm not religious myself but a lot if religious stuff makes great fantasy stories, movies etc.
This is why I prefer the term Mythology (and mormonism absolutely has a mythology). You can look at how Mormon Mythology influenced games, books, movies, tv etc without discussing religions specifically or in general just like we can talk about Hercules, Thor, Samson, and Goliath without talking about the merits or pitfalls of Greco or Norse paganism or Judaism.

For example. I think Tolkien's Legendarium is an amazing blend of Catholic outlook and Northern European myth and I think that is part of its enduring appeal.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Now, virtually every Christian sect has done horrible things in their history. All that's unique about LDS is that they've done deplorable stuff (again, mainly referring to the fundies living on the compounds with like 86 wives) within the last century.

That's not unique. However this is the wrong place for me to detail out other sects and religions deplorable stuff from the last few decades. A few moments of reflection should bring some to mind. But this is the last I'll mention it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Likewise.

This is why I prefer the term Mythology (and mormonism absolutely has a mythology). You can look at how Mormon Mythology influenced games, books, movies, tv etc without discussing religions specifically or in general just like we can talk about Hercules, Thor, Samson, and Goliath without talking about the merits or pitfalls of Greco or Norse paganism or Judaism.

For example. I think Tolkien's Legendarium is an amazing blend of Catholic outlook and Northern European myth and I think that is part of its enduring appeal.

I generally only use mythology on extinct religions, it's just a respect thing for people who are religious.

The had a 3pp biblical 3E setting. Might have been called Testament or something like that. IDK if it's any good or not but it's upfront about what it is.

Tolkeins a good example, wasn't aware Hickman's was a Mormon. I knew BSG free more heavily on the book of Mormon.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I generally only use mythology on extinct religions, it's just a respect thing for people who are religious.

This is tricky due to modern revivals such Asatru or Odinism. What was once ancient is again sacred to living people.

This is why I try to separate even an active religion's myths from a member of said religions beliefs and even further from a church's practices. So I can discuss the former alone and respect or honestly ignore the latter two.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is tricky due to modern revivals such Asatru or Odinism. What was once ancient is again sacred to living people.

This is why I try to separate even an active religion's myths from a member of said religions beliefs and even further from a church's practices. So I can discuss the former alone and respect or honestly ignore the latter two.

True but there's not really enough if them and the revivals are probably not that authentic compared to the originals.

I know they're reviving some of the Roman ones as well,I think Sol Invictus is one.

There are tons of fantasy works influenced by religion. Lord of the Rings, Narnia, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, and so on. Not surprised that Dragonlance follows suit. Though certainly, as a kid I didn’t grok to that (nor, honestly, as an adult, when I re-read the first two trilogies a few years ago).

As an aside, I’ve been thinking about running the original Dragonlance modules…if I can find away to uncouple them from the railroad, and allow the players to run their own characters.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
True but there's not really enough if them and the revivals are probably not that authentic compared to the originals.

Um... yeah, that's not good logic. "There aren't many of you, so I don't have to give you respect," seems practical, but in form it is saying that minority people don't matter, and that's problematic.

So, you know, maybe it is better to at least try to be respectful, in general.

Kaodi

Hero
At a minimum I would suggest that dead religions pass into the commons. Reviving a religion and claiming other people should not talk unfavourably about the object of that religion (historically worshiped gods or concepts) is akin to walking into common land, putting some stakes down, and then telling everyone else to keep their mitts off what "belongs" to you.

Remove ads