Dragonlance Dragonlance books to read for Dungeons and Dragons

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
D&D novels are all pretty kid-friendly. I read the Chronicles when I was 10 or something.
Well...mostly. I wouldn’t give Kemp’s FR novels to a kid, for instance.

Though I hope we aren’t using “kid-friendly” as a synonym for a judgement of quality. That would be depressing.

Dire Bare

Legend
Yeah, after the Heroes and them, Palin and Dalamar are my favorite DL characters, but I can’t think of any book with them I’d highly recommend.
I look at a lot of the stories and characters post-Chronicles in a similar way that I look at most of the Star Wars material outside of the original trilogy of films . . . There's some good stories in there, but many are on the mediocre side, with a few stinkers, but despite that, I fall in love with the characters anyway.

I am not a fan of the Star Wars sequel films, I don't think they are terrible films, but they aren't good either. But yet I love most of the new characters introduced in the films . . . . Palin Majere is like that for me. Most of the stories about him are OK, some are good, some are not . . . but I really like the character.

A warning ... Chronicles is written for a younger audience, and is a bit dated. It is not high literature - not by a long shot. I picked up my copy of it a few years back and started to reread it - and put it back down pretty darn quickly.

Well...mostly. I wouldn’t give Kemp’s FR novels to a kid, for instance.

Though I hope we aren’t using “kid-friendly” as a synonym for a judgement of quality. That would be depressing.
I read them when I was in high school and then read them again with my son when he was 8.

they weren’t as good the second time but my son loved them - especially tasslehoff.

There are well written books for younger audiences and less well written books. I wouldn’t say these aren’t well written but they can be a bit cheesy at times.

Remove ads