Dragonlance Dragonlance cataclysm and a bit about Paladine

Hussar

Legend
I’m sorry but multiple closed threads are my evidence that this topic is just not something that you can have discussion about. The same people repeating the same points over and over again.

Look I get it. You don’t like how the cataclysm was written. Fine. I understand why you don’t like it as well.

But at least can we confine it to one place so it doesn’t turn every conversation into a dumpster fire? WotC is obviously recognizing the issue and is doing something about it.

What more is there to say?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I’m sorry but multiple closed threads are my evidence that this topic is just not something that you can have discussion about. The same people repeating the same points over and over again.

Look I get it. You don’t like how the cataclysm was written. Fine. I understand why you don’t like it as well.

But at least can we confine it to one place so it doesn’t turn every conversation into a dumpster fire? WotC is obviously recognizing the issue and is doing something about it.

What more is there to say?
. . . It is now confined to one thread. Unless I missed some posts, most of the Cataclysm debate has been moved there.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That can't be true... if it is it is ANOTHER reason to fix it. There should not be additional reading of non gaming books needed to understand the campaign world. No one should be forced to read or discuss religion of the real world just to understand the concepts of the game.

I am not engaging anymore in this crazy 'you need to understand this religion' talk. If you (and I don't mean Micha Sweet I mean a general you) can not make a coherent argument without reaching for a religiose book that has nothing to do with the game that says MORE about the issue then anything I can.
It's not just modern day religions, mythologies all around the world deal with the gods punishing humans. Greek and Egyptian myths all have that motif, great floods are so common in world mythology that I wouldn't be surprised that there's more than one instance of a god flooding humanity (maybe that was also the Greek one?).

The fall of Istar is a great moment in the history of the setting because the gods raining down punishment is so prevalent around our real world mythologies that it resonates with a lot of people, even those that have only read them in passing.

It's not just modern day religions, mythologies all around the world deal with the gods punishing humans. Greek and Egyptian myths all have that motif, great floods are so common in world mythology that I wouldn't be surprised that there's more than one instance of a god flooding humanity (maybe that was also the Greek one?).
Far from an expert on the subject, but I believe the Epic of Gilgamesh references such a "Great Flood".

Even has a character that pretty obviously shares the same literary roots as the biblical Noah - if not being the original inspiration thereof - who was made immortal (along with his wife) by the gods after the fact for faithfully following their will (i.e. stop what you're doing and build a ship ASAP if you and your people want to survive).

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Far from an expert on the subject, but I believe the Epic of Gilgamesh references such a "Great Flood".

Even has a character that is pretty obviously shares the same literary roots as the biblical Noah, if not being the original inspiration thereof, who was made immortal (along with his wife) by the gods after the fact for faithfully following their will (i.e. stop what you're doing and build a ship ASAP if you and your people want to survive).

From what I've read, most scientists that study this subject think that the stories of "Great Floods" are distorted oral histories of the flooding and rising sea level that happened after the last Ice Age's glaciers melted. That's why a bunch of cultures and religions around the world have stories of the world being flooded.

From what I've read, most scientists that study this subject think that the stories of "Great Floods" are distorted oral histories of the flooding and rising sea level that happened after the last Ice Age's glaciers melted. That's why a bunch of cultures and religions around the world have stories of the world being flooded.
Another point to consider is that the Epic of Gilgamesh is from ancient Mesopotamia, where the primary water sources stem from the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, which tended to flood violently and unpredictably, as I understand it, unlike the comparatively mild and predictable flooding of the Nile.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases