Dragonlance "Dragonlance Classics"

I've got it. A solution for how to get us the content we want in an interesting and new way.

Pick a campaign setting. Create a hardcover with the best of the best adventures in that setting (not a single campaign--a collection of adventures, Yawning Portal style) updated to 5e, as well as general setting overview (SCAG style), and the rules necessary to update it to 5e.

So you'd have Dragonlance Classics, Greyhawk Classics, Mystara Classics, etc.

The combination of adventures plus general setting overview would give us top level material as well as immediately applicable zoomed in adventure setting material. A selection of adventures allows more than one way to use the content. New races, subclasses, monsters, and any particularly important spells or other elements give us everything we need to convert it. Top it off with a few paragraphs pointing to some of the best prior edition material on the setting over on DM's Guild for those who want more original source material.

Would you buy this for your favorite setting? I know I would. Heck, I'd buy it for settings I don't even have just to try them out.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I would buy the Spelljammer one just to keep my collection complete but I would not touch the others.

Is this the edition where we not only see Return to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and also the Reprint of the Temple of Elemental Evil?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"Dragonlance Classics"

The Dragonlance classics are a massive adventure path though. You can't just extract random adventures from it. Well, you could, but it defeats the point.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd get a book containing 3-4 short-ish adventures with more lore than just an overview and maybe some player options. Maybe even just one adventure but longer, working as a starter set like LMoP for that specific setting setting.

The Dragonlance classics are a massive adventure path though. You can't just extract random adventures from it. Well, you could, but it defeats the point.

Every setting would have its page count weighted differently. For Dragonlance you'd probably have the full adventure path take up most of the book. For something like Dark Sun, which I don't remember being huge on adventures, you'd probably take up most of the page count adding appropriate monsters, since it's an alien world and most of the stuff in the MM doesn't fit (though for many of them they could take the approach of the MtG conversions and just tell you to use the starts for a MM creature with the fluff of a Dark Sun creature). Something like Greyhawk would probably be mostly adventure and setting focused, since there isn't really any need for new crunch.

MWP updated and reprinted the Dragonlance adventures for 3e in three volumes. They were 176, 172, and 170 pages respectively.
Even if statblocks were removed, the final product would be over 400 pages and likely cost $60+

akr71

Hero
I loved the Dragonlance books and when I introduced my wife to them years later, she fell in love with them too - I would probably buy a book of Dragonlance adventures just for the reason that it would make my wife happy. I own a few of the old modules but I don't recall playing more than one or two - my high school gaming buddies had all read the books too and no one wanted to play an adventure where we all knew what was coming and how to play it.

I would love a Krynn Campaign Guide, but an adventure path would have to be something other than "The War of the Lance" for me to get excited about.

Remove ads