Dragonlance Movie... Opinions?

Boss

First Post
So I picked up the new Dragonlance DVD last night and watched it. I felt that overall it was okay. They stayed pretty true to the book as far as I could remember (my books disappeared long ago) and I have to say that Keifer Sutherland as the voice of Raistlin was right on in my opinion. The dislikes was that it was animated, almost in the style of the old cartoon series I felt at times, and the Caramon character was... I don't know. I just didn't care much for the character. Oh yes, I also did not like the fact that all the draconians and dragons were 3-D rather than animated. Pick one style or the other please.

Overall, I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

What did you think?

yonagi

First Post
3 out of 10 for me. horrible animation and, sadly, cardboard voice actors. i was left wondering how much of a budget they had and if most of it went to pay for big names ... i still bought it to add to my collection of poorly executed d&d films, of which i actually enjoyed the first. with the nameless and random dwarf. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
yonagi said:
3 out of 10 for me. horrible animation and, sadly, cardboard voice actors. i was left wondering how much of a budget they had and if most of it went to pay for big names ... i still bought it to add to my collection of poorly executed d&d films, of which i actually enjoyed the first. with the nameless and random dwarf. :)

If it helps, early drafts of Krull were associated with D&D. While it's not the greatest movie, I still think it stands head and shoulders above the recent D&D features (and it has achieved a cult status). So, in that regard, at least we have one half-way entertaining movie to point to when people ask why all D&D movies are total ass.

Goblinoid Games

First Post
I more-or-less liked it. I thought there were times when the CGI was ok, like when Takhisis first makes an appearance, but pretty much every scene with the draconians sucked. I think they could have done better with it to make it blend.

Over all, though, I'd watch a second one.

Last edited:

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The really good news is that the soundtrack, which Tracy Hickman refers to as "Oscar-worthy," will be made available for purchase. So there's some cool gaming music on the horizon.

Oh, and the best Special Thanks section EVER! Not that I'm biased... ;) :D

smootrk

First Post
it was nice to revisit the story, but the production was crap otherwise. Animation, Dialog and other sound, Voice acting was poor... just crap.

WotC should license to an Anime Company that already produces decent works... (not to imply that it should have Anime styling, but the companies know how to produce decent cartoons).

Jack99

Adventurer
Worst crap I have seen in a long time. 0/10 and that's being generous. If I was an American, I would already have contacted my lawyer to find out if it would be possible to sue them for something.

Seriously, stay away from it.

Remove ads