D&D 5E Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen Trailer

WotC has released a trailer for December’s Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an adventure for character levels 1-10.

WotC has released a trailer for December’s Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an adventure for character levels 1-10.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
1. The 1939 Wizard of Oz is not "the original." There were at least two film adaptations of the story before it. Most people think of it as the original because it's the only one they're familiar with. Which fits into my overall point rather nicely.

2. Your description of the upcoming Dragonlance book is entirely incorrect. It's not being released as 'the same product', it's a completely different story than the original modules.
I am speaking of the Dragonlance campaign world as an entity, not this specific adventure. New adventures are of course fine, given that they honor the framework. Campaign settings are like living pieces of art, it doesn't really do them justice to compare them to a single use consumption works like a movie. A more apt comparison would be something like the Cthulhu Mythos, for which new material is still made to this day, both in novels and in RPG material. You can bet well that everything Chaosium is putting forth fits nicely into the existing framework.

Stormonu

Legend
Finding a cache of ancient dragonlances, meh, I can live with it I suppose. Introducing clerics before Goldmoon or allowing dragonborn?
I'll be holding off on my purchase until I find out what's up.
Is this a product made by creatives with love and respect or just a money grab made by suits with no talent preying on nostalgia?
Chris Perkins, who I believe is one of the folks overseeing this, is an old hand - so there’s some input from those with familiarity with the subject. A lot of the artists and current writers though are new bloods (relatively speaking), so expect they want to put their mark/twist on the project, with a look for what will fly with modern audiences. DL hasn’t been in active print by WotC since the turn of the century, so a lot of the current staff is going to be going with what they “feel” is the Dragonlance zeitgeist.

Dragonlance is epic fantasy, with some comedic touch some times, and painful tragedy in others. It is about the lost faith, and how people have to forget their differences to cooperate and working together if they want to survive a common menace. It is about honor, courage and sacrifice, but also fighting for the people you love, for a better future for the next generations.

In its best times Dragonlance was the second most sold fantasy saga after Tolkien.

I love its characters, but the gameplay in the 5th Ed demands some "reimagining".

* What if Raitslin becomes the ruler of a third plane in the Krynnspace, next to the Shadowfell and the Feywild? Anything like a mixture of elemental limbo and Far Realm? It would be a bless and also a curse, because he should stop all possible planar invasion within the Krynnspace.

Remove ads

Remove ads